Thread: Going back on Citalopram

Going back on Citalopram

My backstory, i'll keep it brief -

I went on to citalopram at the age of around 21, as I was very paranoid, self aware, had terrible self esteem, thought I was a loser, freak, all sorts.

Anyway, part of the main problem at the age of 21 was girls not liking me. As it happened, about a year after going on Citalopram (10mg) I got a girlfriend, i moved in with her, everything was great. I still had issues like hypochondria etc, but not on the scale i was having it before.

I split up with my girlfriend, and launched straight into another. My confidence was buzzing, sky high. And with that, I made the decision that I no longer needed medication and i was perfectly fine. Wrong move, looking back.

My tics came back (I have long hair so I flick it a lot) amongst eye twitching and stuff like that. Over the last 3-4 years my paranoia has got worse, my depression at times is quite bad, I get frustrated and angry at people for no reason, and I convince myself I have all sorts of illnesses (One of the most common being that because i have twitches/tics, I'm on the verge of full blown tourettes).

Sorry to go on but i'm getting to the main point now! My family have noticed that i'm not the same anymore. I have a bit of a family history with depression and anxiety, my dad is on citalopram and my brother (now 40) has been on an anti anxiety/depressant since the age of 20. They've all told me that enoughs enough, they want to see the old me back so i've booked a doctors appointment. I'm going to just say I want to go back on citalopram, 10mg, and see how it goes. As far as I can remember the transition period for me wasn't so bad when I originally started on them, the only side effects I suffered were sexual and over sweating.

Is it a good idea? Or should I explore other options? I've been seeing counsellors/cbt/other options since the age of 20, I just feel like citalopram is the best option. I'm tired of waking up everyday and feeling anxious and worried that i'm about to get tourettes or i'm about to get cancer, or that i'm worthless, or that people are laughing at me. I just want to enjoy life again.

Re: Going back on Citalopram

Hi, I'm on citalopram for the second time due to a relapse a few weeks after I came off them earlier this year. How many years is it since you were on them the first time?

There shouldn't be any problems going back on it, but be aware it may take longer to work second time around. That's been the case with me anyway, and also several other people on this forum have said the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkle1984 View Post
    Hi, I'm on citalopram for the second time due to a relapse a few weeks after I came off them earlier this year. How many years is it since you were on them the first time?

There shouldn't be any problems going back on it, but be aware it may take longer to work second time around. That's been the case with me anyway, and also several other people on this forum have said the same.
    It's been about 3, nearly 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by talkinghelps View Post
    Is it a good idea? Or should I explore other options? I've been seeing counsellors/cbt/other options since the age of 20, I just feel like citalopram is the best option. I'm tired of waking up everyday and feeling anxious and worried that i'm about to get tourettes or i'm about to get cancer, or that i'm worthless, or that people are laughing at me. I just want to enjoy life again.
    Offhand it does seem like a good idea. But I would definitely go with a "full team" approach, i.e. start with a therapist as well as a doc, and have some full-disclosure relationships with friends and family if you haven't already. You really need to identify the symptoms and figure out if cit is the right med. Once you have that team together you're ready for the meds.

I am not sure, but something tells me that cit may not be appropriate if you have a history of paranoia. Be sure to bring that up with your doc and therapist.

Let me ask, did you have productive therapy when you went on it last time? And how did that end? Did you feel like you were able to identify and address underlying conditions / anxieties? Do you feel there is more that needs to come out?

Look at it this way, you now the cit won't affect you in too adverse a way, as you've been through it before. so it seems a natural place to start. If for whatever reason it doesn't work out, then there are plenty of other options, and it'll just take some patience to find the right path.

Welcome and I'm happy to talk some more with you.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill

"When it is dark enough, you can see the stars." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

ok some advise from me, this is my second time on cit, im nearly 8 weeks in, with and 18 month gap from when i last took it. the 1st time i took it i only had mild side effects except for jaw clenching which never really went, i was on it for over a year. second time round i had every side effect going, i couldnt function for 2 weeks and had awfull side effects for 5 weeks, all side effects how now gone but it still isnt really working on my health anxiety yet, were as last time it worked really quick.

i dont what you are thinking of doing, because cit worked for me before i went straight to docs and asked for it again, but to be honest it has some of the worst start up side effects and i may have been better seeing what other ssri's are out there, as like i said cit seems to have the most side effects and time before it gets to work xx

i would discuss with your doc whats best before asking for cit x good luck

Thread Information