Thread: Advice needed to calm my nerves

Advice needed to calm my nerves

Hi All,
    Im looking for some advice on a bowel issue. I have recently come off codeine and ibuprofen in which i had an addiction. I went Cold Turkey and have had terrible anxiety and panic attacks since. Anyway, I came off these tablets 2 weeks ago and im still having loose bowel movements, this is freaking me out badly as im worried i have done damage. Could anyone let me know whether it will settle down, its not always 'loose' but it does happen occasionally.

Thank you

Re: Advice needed to calm my nerves

I'm sorry you're having this problem.

Codeine does slow down your guts, and is sometimes used as a treatment for diarrhoea-type IBS. It might be that the codeine was helping with a pre-existing problem, or that this is part of your withdrawal - depending how long it's been going on for.

If it's withdrawal, it should return to normal eventually. You could take imodium for a while until it improves. If you have a longer-standing problem then it might help to take something different to help slow your guts down. Your GP is the best person to recommend or prescribe something. I don't think you will have done any permanent damage as such. Ibuprofen can cause stomach problems in a small number of people, but that would not cause diarrhoea, because diarrhoea is caused lower down in the gut.

Well done for quitting 2 quite bad drugs to be addicted too, you’re doing ok and yes you may have an erratic bowel for a couple of months, codeine can make you constipated so now you will be looser, make sure you are well hydrated as well especially in this heat, that want help either.
    Try not to worry it will all go back to normal soon, well done again.

Thank you both so so much, i feel really good other than the bowel issues. I was diagnosed with IBS last year by the doctor as i was having constipation and general stomach issues. Thank you for reassuring me, i was just concerned that there maybe something wrong, but it makes perfect sense that my bowels are now trying to sort themselves out. I just want to make everyone aware how dangerous Codeine can be, what started out as a pain relief for tooth ache turned into a full blown addiction. Please please be careful, and only take in emergency cases.

Thread Information