Thread: Propranolol..too soon before bed?

Propranolol..too soon before bed?

Hi all,
    I was put on Propranolol 40mg twice daily today and I have to say the difference it's made is remarkable! I've been calmer, happier, laughing and joking. I've had my intrusive thoughts, of course I have, but I've been more able to shrug them off and get on with my day.

I'm going to be jumping into bed within the next 45 minutes so I wondered whether it was safe to take my second (and last) dose for today? I took my first dose at about 2pm but I think it's beginning to wear off and I'm feeling just slightly on edge.

Your thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks all

MrsS x

Re: Propranolol..too soon before bed?

Mrs S...I have been on propranolol since Thurs but have split my dose into 4 & take 1x10mg at 10, 2, 6 & 10.....I think you just take them when u feel u need to....am feeling much calmer too but a bit more emotional than usual....I don't know if this is the propranolol or reducing buspirone which I am tapering off...good luck x

My personal opinion is that, often times the anxiety and stress and fear need to be combated with CBT. What I have found is that doctors in the UK are too quick to jump to beta blockers or benzodiazepines without even trying CBT.

Also I feel that, if your panic/anxiety disorder/attacks are not regular meaning they come and go then I feel benzodiazepine is a better treatment method as they tend to have a rapid onset. In either case, first call of action should be CBT with 1 weeks benzodiazepine treatment with close monitoring.

For Panic-Attacks which is different from Anxiety disorder, then I think the better option would be with Beta Blockers again with CBT.

The problem is that you can actually become addicted to these drugs, with physical dependency. Always a good idea to task the patient to bring in their medication just to check how much they are taking and if they are sticking to regular doses as more often then not some patients start to abuse these drugs.

To answer your question I think it's safe but I'd probably take half the recommended dose if I am going to bed soon, as Propranolo can give you sleep disturbances and even nightmares.

Above is a personal opinion and not medical advice, medical advice should only be accepted by a trained registered medical physician.
    Last edited by K-OSS; 22-07-13 at 16:49. Reason: meant to say Anxiety disorder.

I have to disagree with the above post. Beta-blockers are not addictive. Your body becomes used to the effects and you have to taper off when stopping but there is no way you become addicted in the usual sense of the word.

Benzodiazepines, on the other hand, are addictive and to recommend them to someone who has just stated that beta-blockers work really well is very poor advice, it seems to me. CBT on the other hand is a good idea but, like everything else, it's not for everyone.

Regardless, this site is not here to dispense medical advice and people should always see their doctors if they are unsure about anything.

Pip

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by Pipkin View Post
    I have to disagree with the above post. Beta-blockers are not addictive. Your body becomes used to the effects and you have to taper off when stopping but there is no way you become addicted in the usual sense of the word.

Benzodiazepines, on the other hand, are addictive and to recommend them to someone who has just stated that beta-blockers work really well is very poor advice, it seems to me. CBT on the other hand is a good idea but, like everything else, it's not for everyone.

Regardless, this site is not here to dispense medical advice and people should always see their doctors if they are unsure about anything.

Pip

I was giving a personal opinion if you actually read my post clearly. I wasn't dispensing medical advice, I was dispensing an opinion. I am sorry if anyone misunderstood my post, drugs that need to be tapered off are addictive in my opinion. Because I have seen folks on beta blockers shaking and trembling, and begging for their dose to be re-instated, just so they psychical effects can be alleviated. Yes with Benzodiazepine recreational abuse potential is high. But if a drug that basically has you chained and you have to take to get rid off the negative side-effects or to "taper" off then in my opinion that is addictive.
    Last edited by K-OSS; 22-07-13 at 16:01.

Thread Information