Thread: afraid of losing memory

afraid of losing memory

Lately i've been having this fear of losing my memory.
    I feel that everything is unfamiliar (not unreal, it;s not a case of derealisation) and i constantly wonder how things came to this point. I keep bringing my whole life to my mind, like i'm trying to understand why i'm here, why i'm me. I tend to focus on traumatic experiences, and that indeed makes me feel panicky and unreal. But my fear of losing my memory is sometimes unbearable. My grandpa used to lose his memory sometimes and that scared me a lot when i was a child... Also, i had read about a younger guy who used to suffer from serious memory loss.

Has anybody experienced similar fears?
    Gosh, it's almost 3 in the morning and i'm scared.

Re: afraid of losing memory

nobody?

Of course we have. People have probably just forgotten to reply.

I've been thinking this for about twenty years now! Stress really affects memory, and so do a lot of the drugs we are prescribed. It really is a case of laughing at yourself and not worrying about it.

It's not like fear of forgetting where the keys are or if i've left the food in the oven, it's fear that i'll forget where i am and who are the people around me... Yeah, not very rational. Anyway, my fears come and go... One appears for a few days, then it disappears and another comes... It stays and plays with my mind for some time... And it goes over and over.
    Also, i usually do not take drugs. I've taken some anti-anxiety pills or something, and they helped a lot lot lot lot. But my therapist said i have to learn to control my feelings on my own, so... :/
    Anyway, thanks

Hello Ianassa,

Learning to control your feelings is an ongoing process. The fear of poor memory can be heavy, however I would suggest for you to consider a few fun exercises among your activities.

The hobby of photography has become so much more affordable thanks to the smartphones - why not to put yours to use, and snap on the details that you observe around you? This will develop a whole new perspective on things for you, while you can have something later to use as a memory refresher: just skip through the images when can

Another technique for memory improvement is called the "linking technique", when you learn to associate necessary lists with an unusual story in your visual memory - given that you create the most vivid memories, later on it is enough to simply recall the visual movie/cartoon you made after reading/hearing every line of the list.

Never feel paralysed by your fears or worries - the power of the internet allows us to find any sort of information necessary, as long as you chip in the effort. Our brain cells get worn out like any other muscle, and you should keep it fit with a combination of healthy diet and regular exercise.

Good luck

hiya i can so relate to yr fear i started panic attacks and anxiety bk in 1960s and it was not heard of i was only 12 but i ended up being agraphobic i am now 58 and my panic and agraphobia as lifted from time to time but always there and wen it cam bk to bite me i seemed to hacve collected another fear my agraphobia as gotten worse through the fear of loosing my mind so i stopped going out i would be afraid of loosing my mind while i was out like not knowing who i am ect just like you i will let you no that began over twenty yrs ago and just relised it as not happend yet a therapist once told me yes but it would be nice if you lost yr memorey and the new you didnt have panic agaraphobia so it made me laugh i no its scarey for you i ave cryed about it many times like what if i dont no my kids that would be so sad any way just thought i would let you no yr not alone in this take care xx

I was concerned about my memory (I still am). My GP asked me about it, so I had a memory test yesterday . Not 100% but not bad either.
    Anxiety and stress has something to do with my memory, I feel I am going mad some days--- I am lacking sleep as well.
    All the bestxx

Thread Information