Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coping with Depersonalisation

Coping with Depersonalisation

Hello to anyone reading this.

I am 20 years old and suffer from GAD, caused by coming clean from cannabis. I wish with all my heart I had never touched the stuff and I hope it's a warning to anyone smoking heavily with a history of mental health problems.

I thought I was dealing fairly well with my anxiety, had it for around five months now. I was having acupuncture to see if that made a difference but it remains to be seen. Anyone had any success treating GAD with it?

I am now dealing with severe depersonalisation, I honestly feel like I'm not a human anymore and I can't remember what it feels like to be normal. I just want to feel like I used to. I have no concentration or memory, I feel like I barely know my family or partner anymore. I'm in a horrible, depressive little bubble with my only respite being going to bed, which I then wake up from feeling the same. I've had it very badly for the past few days, before that it was on and off and I could cope. Has anyone else ever felt so bad that they are almost suicidal, feel like they will never change and feel that they don't have any feelings left besides anxiety and sadness?

I'm trying so hard.
    I just want to feel like myself.

Re: Coping with Depersonalisation

just wanted u to know u are not alone I suffered with this for long time its very scary ..all I can say is try not to worried over it so much it will only make it worse...keep your mind busy on other things hope u feel better soon

I had this for years.literaly..i gave uo the weed and sufered DP and DR..i like you wishedvid never touched the stuff.after a few years it finaly went.its a side kick if anxiety which is caused from smoking weed..hope you feel better soon

Have any of you come through the anxiety? Thanks for replying.

Hi, welcome to the forums. Is your doctor aware of how you're feeling (especially with regard to feeling almost suicidal?) They will be able to help.

I'm on citalopram and have been receiving CBT, both of which have helped me a lot.
    Last edited by Sparkle1984; 18-07-13 at 21:47.

I've just joined this site cos I read your thread and wanted to try to reassure you. I gave up a weed last year and felt the same. Had a lot of stress as well at the time and my anxiety went through the roof. I felt depersonalised and I was terrified. I have come on a long way, not totally out of the woods but I don't feel depersonalised anymore. The difference now is I know I will get better. Try to live as normal as possible and let your mind recover. Don't keep searching for answers. The more you stress about how u feel the worse u will feel. All the best time is a healer.

Hi there I went through the same thing in my 20's and got over it, the thing with anxiety is it is so horrible we sufferers try to rush our recovery, take it day by day safe in the knowledge that it will pass.
    Don't fight it accept it, don't beat yourself up cause your feeling weak, learn to live with it and you won't even realise it'll be a distant memory, good luck :-)

Peru83 is offline Intermediate Member

Hey,

Depersonalisation is a horrible feeling :( I can relate to that! I always found I got that when my anxiety was at it's worst, then this would make me feel more anxious and so began the vicious cycle :(

The best thing for you to do is to relax! It will ease off, not sure how/when, but it will. I still get that now, usually on days (like today) where I've had like 4 hours sleep thanks to this heat wave!! Always moan about it raining in Scotland then when the sun is out we moan more!! lol

Don't forget your breathing (can't stress that enough to anyone), nice deep relaxing breaths. The more relaxed you are the more these horrible symptoms die down Go and do something today...It's beautiful outside here (and I have to go and sit in a horrible office :( ), Unless your very north in scotland it will be nice where you are too go and make some plans (assuming your not working) and go out! Go to the park or beach? Get out the house, get distracted and get social or if thats too much for you, given how your feeling, go and sit out in the garden, phone a friend or sit with your OH and just have a random conversation about the most pointless stuff and this will help you relax.

I too was a big hash smoker, mostly solid but also some grass from time to time. Apparently solid is the worst of the two as anything could be mixed in it (scary stuff eh?!). I also took a lot of other things i.e my sixteenth birthday my friend bought me 3 x Red Dragon LSD tabs..so you can imagine the life style I lead! this no doubt was a huge contributing factor to how I am today. But please be assured, I have been clean of everything (even cigarettes) for years now and I don't look back on any of it, I'm feeling much better. Not cured, but definitely better

Hi I suffered badly like you when I gave up smoking cannabis, I felt fine when I was smoking it but the problems occurred when I gave up, so much to the point that I thought it wasnt worth giving it up cus I felt so bad. I too felt so bad with anxiety, headaches, head pains, racing thoughts and Depersonalisation and the only escape I found was while I was asleep.I used to think that I was going to be like it for the rest of my lift but as time went on and with the help on the doctors putting me on amitriptyline I slowly started to have good days. Try and be positive and be reassured that it wont always feel like this. I still have bad days, weeks or sometimes months where I suffer with headaches, head pains, Depersonalisation and feeling spaced out. I did all sorts of other drugs when I was younger and I am sure this is what has caused my nervous system and anxiety levels to be so messed up.

I have found that the best ways of making myself feel better is exercise and plenty of sleep.

You are not alone in your struggle and if you ever need to talk just private message me I have been where you are and still struggle myself at times. The biggest relief for me was finding this site and other people that suffer with the same symptoms as me, I knew then that I wasnt losing the plot!

I had to go onto meds to help with my depersonalisation... and they did help. I took Serdep (think it's called Zoloft overseas) for a few months.

It will be sunny, one day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information