Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coping with Depersonalisation

Re: Coping with Depersonalisation

Thanks for all the great comments really made me feel like I'm not alone. I'm on a waiting list for CBT with the NHS but the waiting list is over a year long in my area! So trying to see if there is any way I can go private and get the help I need sooner. I am also reading a book called 'At Last A Life' by Paul David, it's about his own struggle with GAD and Depersonalisation and how he got over it.

I find it hard to control my breathing so I'm not sure the technique is so good for me, when I've been concentrating on it for a while I feel like when I don't I can't breathe, like my body has forgotten. Of course it's just the anxiety trying to freak me out.

Trying not to have to be on medication, I've been on it before and developed a kind of fear of taking tablets because they didn't have the desired affect on me. I kind of believe that there must be a way to get better by myself without medication, I feel like I wouldn't be truly better otherwise. Obviously I know it's necessary sometimes just to see you through. Maybe I'm fighting a losing battle.

Sleep definitely feels like my only respite, I wish I could choose when I'm conscious at the moment, feels like I've just come out of a coma or something and forgotten how to live.

It's terrible that the waiting list is a year long in your area! If you search on this forum for CBT4Panic, you'll find a free CBT course that's been recommended by many people on this site. I've been using it myself and it's very good.

Yeah it seems as though a lot of doctors around here just don't know what to do about mental health, so they just put most on for CBT. You can get fast tracked but apparently GAD isn't serious enough.. you need to have something along the lines of schizophrenia or bipolar disorder. It's very frustrating! I'll check out that CBT course, thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information