Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Clutter

Clutter

I'm pretty sure that apart from OCD sufferers, many people here will have issues with clutter taking over during times of low mental energy. I just wondered, does anybody else have a problem with one particular room? I was a terrible hoarder but I can give almost anything away now - wedding dress went to charity, even some of my more ancient writing scraps have gone, I must have taken hundreds of bags to charity over the years. But my bedroom remains a tip.

I have decluttered it thoroughly several times and always think, "All I need to do now is keep it this way!" But it always reverts... I have a small house and can still get rid of a bit more, but... this has to be psychological I think. Any ideas, anybody? I'm planning to tackle it tomorrow (have put it off four times so far) and feel a literal physical lethargy come over me at the mere thought, although I can wash, polish, sweep for hours everywhere else. It is like a paralysis of the soul. Surely it can't just be me!

Re: Clutter

i am clutter queen!!

I am the opposite and cannot cope with clutter, eveything has to be in it's place and if it does not appear to being used - it's out. I look for things when I need them and guess what, I chucked 'em out! I am trying to think very long and hard now before I get rid of something.

BobbyDog

I am awful with clutter. I have my laptop on an old dressing table it is littered with papers with little notes on. I make notes in no particular place, any scrap of paper
    will do.Then I cannot find the notes I made. I iron in small bedroom. that is littered with clothes, ironing, hangers everywhere .Me and clothes hangers do not mix
    No matter how I try I cannot get organised.
    I put it down to the job I had. Clothes and drapery. Jumpers etc had to be folded
    up and put into plastic bags with tissue paper. Garments would have to be folded in a certain way. My boss shouted to me to watch him how to pack a bespoke suit in a
    box and then wrapped with brown paper and string before taking it to the post office. So I know how to do all that........But not now-- I can do what I like with my own stuff. I shove things anywhere. that is why I am so untidy.
    Chistmas presents I will not wrap because I know I can. I don't. if that makes sense.
    I try my best to be tidy upstairs, but I never get to sorting it. I NEED HELP.
    I am ok downstairs with clean and tidy except for the bureau, open that and everything falls out including about thirty lightbulbs.
    Sorry to go on and on

I am the same as Bobby dog

Speranza, I am exactly the same as you. No problem with cleaning up but trying to tackle the clutter in my bedroom and spare room is something I never get round to. Each weekend I tell myself that this is it but I will always find a hundred and one other things to do!

I used to have a lot of clutter, its help when keeping to living in a 3 bed flat/house. this time I have less clutter, it takes time to get rid of all the clutter. now that I have it in a manageable state, I can keep the flat tidier. as for my bedroom got to be really tidy, I don't like it when its messed up. I get annoyed when my son goes into my room as he leaves a mess behind him.

these days I like my flat to be clean and tidy. drives me up the wall when its messy.

AARGH! COAT HANGERS!!!!! I get hanger rage in shops (AND when I clear my wradrobe) - I couldn't possibly work in a clothes shop!!

Well this is reassuring, I thought perhaps it was some deep psychological problem - but at least if it is I share it with you guys...

I moved from quite a large house (a modern vicarage) to a tiny ex-Council semi, with three quarters of the family and both cats. I have got rid of SO MUCH stuff! But when we split up we hired a huge skip and filled it twice! It makes me ashamed when I think most of the world can literally carry their possessions in a bundle. I would really love to work out how to get and keep my room clean - maybe we should have a tidying buddy thread?

Oh - I should add, my one elderly cat sheds so much hair that every time I sweep I get almost enough for another cat. My daughter's friend came round once and said excitedly, "I LOVE your house, Gill, you have Tumblehair!"

---------- Post added at 22:27 ---------- Previous post was at 22:23 ----------

btw I hardly need say, I didn't tackle it today. A friend had a Man Crisis and I had about 2 hours' sleep, so I have felt like a zombie all day. I forced myself to get the bus into town for lunch so that I could walk the two and half miles back, so at least I got out and had some exercise. But I couldn't face tidying my room. Help!!!

Speranza,

there is ways to keep your room tidy, doing a little every day. easier says than done, got to push ourselves or we wont get it done.

when I started (I used to live in a 5 bedroom house, had to move due to harrassment. move from 5 bedroom house to 3 bed flat. what a clutter that was.)

I started off with getting lovely boxes that I could make up and put my papers in. I eventually got myself and address book. my that made a difference. no more writting things down on peices of paper and losing them. all in one place.

now I have two filing cabinets in my bedroom. I have all my papers in there. writting paper, my bills. my journals, etc... helps to keep my room tidy. also have shelves in my room, so I can put my books, tolilteris on it. I play ds games, I've got my game cases on the top shelf. I have all my teddies on my top shelf in the wardrope, I have long top shelf. even they have a place in my room.

it has taken me a lot of time to get a lovely tidy room. I keep it tidy. stay on top of it, I do get low energy, not able to keep it tidy. cause I stay on top of it, when I do get low energy, I can still keep it tidy. plus I now have a bed side table.

tackle one room at a time, it takes time, you will get there, just takes time.

I absolutely hate clutter and it really strtesses me out, yet I cohabit with rather a lot of the stuff. I try to get rid of things, but I can't keep up with the rate I accumulate it - yet I have no idea where it all comes from, it's not like I go shopping much. I seem to get piles and piles of stuff I'm going to sort, but the piles just get higher instead of sorted. I have a teenyweeny spare bedroom and I just hide it all in there and plan to sort it before a guest comes. When a guest comes I just move it into another room, and move it back once they're gone.

I did finally file away all my assignments that have been in a growing pile since September, 6 weeks after the end of term. I cleaned up the whole room where my computer is and also hoovered the floor, now that I can see it. That was a week ago and of course, you can hardly see the floor any more. It seems to be a never ending battle

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information