Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please stop me before I consult dr google!

Please stop me before I consult dr google!

Hey everyone!
    It's been a while since I have been here I have been doing quite well until now that is!
    I have suffered terribly with health anxiety! It starts when I feel ill or get a pain or something then I question these pains and it spirals from there!

Well now I have had a sore throat fr 3 weeks! It's not constantly sore but hurts when I swallow food or drink and I can feel the pain all the way down! I was doing well dealing with my ha and telling myself it's just a sore repay etc. but three weeks later and it's still here so now my anxiety is going into doctor mode and I'm starting to diagnose myself again. I am trying my hardest not to talk to google as I know the first thing to come up will be cancer and also I will probably have all of the symptoms. I have been to the doc today and although he says he can't see any infection he thinks there must be one there. He said to go back in a week if its no better. This should be reassuring but intact it isn't its worse. The fact that he said come back in a week makes me think maybe this could be more than an infection. I'm now worrying again :( xx

---------- Post added at 23:34 ---------- Previous post was at 23:31 ----------

Sorry about the spelling in that! Darn iPhone! Xx

Re: Please stop me before I consult dr google!

If you've got the google itch, I'm guessing you'll probably go there anyway - I know what I'm like when I'm desperate to research something but... really try not to. There are so many scary things when you go looking, and the odds are that none of them will apply to you!

It could be a viral throat, in which case it can take weeks to subside - paracetamol is the best thing to help if it is. Also it could be acid coming up from your stomach... do you have any stomach issues at the moment? Acid can cause a sore throat & esophagus, & if it's not treated with meds or adjusted diet, it will just keep on making you feel sore.

And - I think if there was any sign it was something serious, your doctor wouldn't have gone along the 'infection' lines, and would have sent you for further investigation.

Try not to worry - I'm sure it's something innocent, although annoying, and it will calm down soon.

Thank you for replying google is definitely the worst thing for us poor ha sufferers! I think my issue with my doctor is he knows I have anxiety so I question whether he takes me seriously he's lovely and everything but I fear he just says what I want to hear. And another thig I have had no offer symptoms just the throat business. Ido suffer with ibs as a result of anxiety but I have never experienced acid reflux or anything so I wouldn't know if it was that :( xx

Lots of people have a horrible sore throat at the moment so it is much more likely to be a virus, and yes - it can go on for that long. x

I hope so but you know that vicious cycle when you concerntrate on it so much it's there all the time yet of you were locked in convo it's not there! Bizarre! Xx

Don't do the google thing for your own good. It can literally take over your life, as I have found out. I wish you could block it.

Good luck with your problems, as said this year seems really bad for allergies and viruses, so it is just as likely to be that, but I am sure that wont reassure you, it wouldn't me either

The most common causes of pain on swallowing are minor tears in the throat (if you were coughing alot with the infection for example), abrasions and muscle tension along the infrahyoids.

Liziik
    I've had a sore throat for about 6 weeks now. It comes and goes, sometimes hurts to swallow but other times just a feeling of swollen glands although nothing is actually swollen that I can see or feel. Keep putting off going to docs as it starts to feel better but this last couple of days it's got worse. I do actually feel like I'm coming down with something viral but it's been coming a long time and that makes me anxious. I understand the urge to google - haven't done it myself yet but I could be tempted though I know it won't make things any better. Paracetamol and fluids in order for next couple of days then maybe docs if no better.
    I hope you feel better soon.

ive recently had a sore throat for 6 weeks!! dr says it could be hay fever? he wasnt worried atall.

I had an almost constant sore throat for 3 months , they never did find out what it was but it eventually went .

Have you tried a gargol with salt ?

If there is a small infection or food trapped in in a fold of skin the salt gargol will help to clear it up .

One thing my doctor said to me if its not constant and comes and goes it wont be anything serious

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information