Thread: Probiotics

Probiotics

This is a new area of mental and chronic health that is only in its infancy (but has known about by alternative practitioners for centuries), but gut bacteria has a huge impact on our bodies, both physically and mentally.

I have recently discovered that I have severe overgrowth of candida and bad bacteria in my gut that has left me with multiple severe symptoms. I am now working on restoring the the balance of gut flora, but it's taking some time. Our diets of high sugar and wheat feed the bad stuff so that it starts taking over.

I've now completely overhauled my diet and I'm taking probiotics as well as other supplements to help kill off the bad guys, and I believe that in the long run this will go a long way towards dealing with my anxiety. Candida and bacteria, when left unchecked, will grow rapidly out of control and let off all sorts of toxins that make you feel horrible - tired, anxious, bloated, breathing difficulties, rapid heart beat, allergies, intolerances, strange rashes etc.

Just thought I'd share what I've been learning on this nightmare of a journey! I hit the bad stuff in my gut too hard and have been through a severe die off reaction. I wouldn't recommend making a ton of changes at once, but taking a daily probiotic is a good start and may be all you need to do if you symptoms are mild. You may feel worse for a few weeks, before you start to feel better though, so be warned, but don't let that put you off.

Wondered if anyone else had any experience or thoughts on this?

---------- Post added at 15:10 ---------- Previous post was at 15:07 ----------

Here's an article on it: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...ays-study.html

Re: Probiotics

I know that allegedly the probiotics we buy are in too small a dose to have much effect, but I must say I believe they restored my bowel function after years of constipation IBS. My daughter studies brains and I've been fascinated to learn that we actually have a 'gut brain' which is an incredible thought!

I have no doubt that diet impacts hugely on our mental health. But I also think we are each individual and therefore one size doesn't fit all, it's trial and error.

Re: Probiotics

It's quite amazing isn't it?! I had never heard any of this stuff before and now that I've started reading about it I've been astounded at what I've found out. I believe you when you say that probiotics have helped with your IBS. I am finding the same, as well as using peppermint oil, which I believe is helping to kill off the bad guys. Acidophilus yogurt is also very good.

And of course we are all individual and different things will work for different people, but starting with your gut is a good idea, especially seeing as a lot of us with anxiety also have IBS. It is interesting too, that communications between gut and brain go both ways - your brain can affect your gut function and your gut can affect your brain, so I believe a whole body approach would be a wise way to start looking after ourselves. Lots of destressing and eating good food. It's sensible really, but interesting the way in which science is now giving us reasons why. And learning that even the food I thought was good for me has actually helped to contribute to the imbalance is very interesting. At the moment I am strictly off sugar and grains, and alcohol, in order to starve out the bad pathogens. Paleo type diets are supposed to be very good for this kind of thing.

Thread Information