Thread: Help, did I just poison myself?!

Help, did I just poison myself?!

As many people here know I've been struggling to get LPR Reflux under control. My latest attempt at a cure is a 1/4 tspoon of baking, bicarbonate of soda mixed with a glass of water (300 - 500ml); I remembered reading about it and found a website that mentioned how to make it 'safely.' It said you could have this around 2 or 3 times a day, but not every day which makes sense.

Now I've just had my 3rd and final glass of water after trying this for about 2-3 days, and I feel a bit weird. Woe is me, I Googled why, and I have some of the symptoms of overdose, like a racing heart, feeling of being full and... scariest of all it feels like my chest is being sucked in with a sudden, massive heartbeat of sorts, is that what a spasm feels like? Is it just anxiety or should I call for help?!

EDIT: The ironic thing is, while I worry about this many of my throat/reflux symptoms are currently less problematic than usual..!

Re: Help, did I just poison myself?!

1/4 of a teaspoon is hardly anything, so I am sure you have not overdosed, just now anxious and panicking that you have which may be causing all your symptoms.

I have just read "1 to 2 ½ teaspoons of baking soda in a glass of cold water is the common dose for an adult" so I am sure that you have not overdosed on it.

if you are still worried then drink plenty of plain water.

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Quote Originally Posted by venusbluejeans View Post
    1/4 of a teaspoon is hardly anything, so I am sure you have not overdosed, just now anxious and panicking that you have which may be causing all your symptoms.

I have just read "1 to 2 ½ teaspoons of baking soda in a glass of cold water is the common dose for an adult" so I am sure that you have not overdosed on it.

if you are still worried then drink plenty of plain water.
    Thanks a bunch ^^ To be honest it was nice to get relief from the throat symptoms, but it would be an unusual cure to scare myself out of... anxiety. XD

Hi there,

My dad, being a bit of a traditionalist and not believing in those new-fangled drugs, used to make me drink bicarbonate of soda when I had an upset stomach as a child - definitely more than 1/4 teaspoon. Apart from tasting absolutely disgusting, it never did me any harm. I can't say it did me any good either though...

At those quantities, it won't do you any harm but rather you than me. Urgh, the thought of it makes me shudder.

Pip

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thread Information