Thread: Do you tell your friends?

Do you tell your friends?

I was wondering if any of you have told your friends you're struggling with anxiety? depression? I'm finding it more and more difficult to keep making excuses to my friends as to why I can't go out or why I'm not how I was before. When I do go out i'm not the same person I was and I think they're starting to think I don't like them or that i'm boring. My friend has rang me every day this week asking me if i want to go over to his which is about 30 mins away but i've been having a really bad week, finding it difficult to drive etc and every time i've had to make up some excuse. I don't want to lose friends but i don't know if i want to tell them either, i'm worried they will laugh at me or ask me what i have to be depressed about or expect me to explain it all fully and i'm worried they will treat me differently. I don't really know what to do.

SarahH is offline Most Naughty-ish Member Ever

Re: Do you tell your friends?

Hi Greg,

I have found honesty is the best. Keep your explanation simple. True friends will stick by you. You may also find that as you open up they will too!!! You'll be surprised how many people will then tell you they suffer from similar problems.

Sarah

Quote Originally Posted by SarahH View Post
    Hi Greg,

I have found honesty is the best. Keep your explanation simple. True friends will stick by you. You may also find that as you open up they will too!!! You'll be surprised how many people will then tell you they suffer from similar problems.

Sarah
    Thank you Sarah!

I agree. It is especially important I think because I'm the type of person whose friends are stunned that I have gone onto Prozac. Living proof it can happen to anybody...

Apart from anything else, like most of you here I bet, I have always been there for other people. Now they get to do it for me. If it is more blessed to give than to receive, it's only fair to be on the receiving end sometimes.

SarahH is offline Most Naughty-ish Member Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Speranza View Post
    I agree. It is especially important I think because I'm the type of person whose friends are stunned that I have gone onto Prozac. Living proof it can happen to anybody...

Apart from anything else, like most of you here I bet, I have always been there for other people. Now they get to do it for me. If it is more blessed to give than to receive, it's only fair to be on the receiving end sometimes.

Could not have said it better myself

Completely agree with Speranza.
    And actually the more I talk to people about it, the more I realise that I'm not on my own. A couple of them do also suffer from anxiety and depression, and it's nice to be able to support each other.

Hi Greg,
    From experience I've found telling my friends about my obsessions a bad idea. However, when I penned out EXACTLY what I was facing on Blogger and sent my friend the link, she was mortified and deeply upset. She's always hoping she can help me ever since and no longer jokes about me killing my husband. Between them both, I have two of the best talk therapists a girl could ask for. I'm no longer frightened to talk about what I'm thinking, I'm releasing the anger and able to (slowly) better control my emotions. Like I say, writing it all down somewhere like Blogger has helped tremendously, too. I think it entirely depends on whether your friends are likely to be sympathetic, or whether they will tease you about your current mental health.

Good luck, and I really hope that if you do take the plunge, it works out for the best :-)

MrsS x

only tell to someone who you think will understand. and generally cares about people.

Quote Originally Posted by justinechats View Post
    only tell to someone who you think will understand. and generally cares about people.
    Agreed! I have two close friends who I share things with and they're very understanding. I think it does help to have a friend or two that are aware of ur circumstances, I always feel very isolated when I'm in the grips of it and letting people know does ease that slightly. There are some though who just don't get it, so be selective about who u share with

Thread Information