Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I just need to tell people they are not alone

I just need to tell people they are not alone

I am a Police Officer and you can imagine what problems persistant panic has caused for me throughout the last 7 or 8 yrs
    I eventualy plucked up courage and spoke to a good friend of mine who just happens to be the head of welfare (in fact she is the welfare dept for my force)
    She suggested CBT for me and even better convinced my bosses to pay for 10 sessions
    So far (early days) things have staerted to improve for me and I now have some very good tools to help ME MANAGE my anxiety rather than letting my anxiety MANAGE me
    The message i need to give people is that You must never be afraid to talk about your anxiety I just wish that I had done so years ago
    PS this forum must be getting some acclaim because my therapist recommended it as being one of the best possible - I agree with her wholeheartedly

I have 2yrs to go in the job then I have the great retirement to look forward too It cant come a day too soon

I am surrounded by people who keep saying arent you stopping on after doing your 30 think of the money

BUT I reply by saying No way I mow need to live for another 30 yrs of drawing my hard earned pension before this damn job kills me

I want to live for 30 more yrs minumum too and not spend them fighting this battle

Hi there

So glad to hear you are doing so well and have such understanding bosses. I tell everyone I have panic and anxiety, I used to hide it but find it helps if people know why I find things difficult. Luckily I too am doing well now, long may it last for us both and well done to you

Mandy xx

positive attitude brings positive results

What an uplifting post ,so glad you are getting the help you deserve and need!Good luck withit love mary rose.xxxxxxxxxxx

we are all in the same boat and can guide each other ashore

Hi LLADDIS, I went to be assessed for CBT but the assessor said I didn't need it. However, she gave me the address for this site and I'm so glad she did. I have a very high profile job and probably take more abuse than most, but my job is a "pussycat" compared to my home life. Single mum, with 3 kids aged 18, 9 and 5, and a carer for my god-daughter who is 15 and self-harms. Just coming onto this site and venting has helped me so much, and if it wasn't for the people on here, I don't know where I'd be (probably on the mental health unit lol!) Seriously, I shouldn't joke about things like that, but that's how bad things get some times at home.

You are lucky that work is paying for your CBT, a lot of people on NMP have been waiting ages or even had to go private. I hope it gives you some reassurance and helps you with your panic.

Good luck.

Les

Hi LLaddis,

Lovely to hear the CBT is helping, sounds like you are learning how to deal with the anxiety, its great to read such a positive post, you keep up the good work !! WELL DONE !!

Love

Andrea
    xxxx

Thank you for all the nice kind words - this forum is just great
    For those waiting for CBT I would recomment "MIND OVER MOOD" BY Greenberger AND Padesky
    There are a few cheapo second hand copies on Ebay which are priced at less than £10 - The book is helping me to get good value from my CBT sessions
    CBT should be FREELY AVAILABLEon the NHS it could save the country and industry a fortune in lost wages etc

regards JOHN

LIFES A BEACH THEN THE TIDE COMES IN

You have done really well to maintain a stressful career whilst managing your anxiety. I would be really interested to hear how the CBT goes, what you covers etc. Good luck.

Spuds
    Thanks for those kind words ..
    I have struggled at times too and I will be honest at times I have been off sick with anx but have called it other things because that way people can understand
    This site is just great already In the CBT thread below I have found a study buddy at exactly the same point as me in their treatment ..so that will be a massive help too
    I would recommend the book "Mind over Mood" by Greenberger and padesky ...a few copies on Ebay at around a tenner ..That book should be Free on the NHS is has the potential to save them a fortune

LIFES A BEACH THEN THE TIDE COMES IN

I've got 'Mind Over Mood', but didn't find it as useful as D.Burns' 'Feeling Good: New Mood Therapy' or E. Bourne 'Anxiety and Phobia Workbook'. Though, to many of us on here, you just can't beat a bit of Claire Weekes!

I think reading CBT books has really helped me. It's not an overnight cure, but it has helped me regain my logic and look at my anxiety more realistically as just feelings not facts. I have posted these links on another thread today, but I'll repeat them here too as I found them useful:

Anxiety Network - lots of good stuff, but these are useful coping statements:

http://www.anxietynetwork.com/helpcope.html#helpcop1

Ed Beckham, psychologist - downloading and printing the free handouts on negative thinking was useful.

http://www.drbeckham.com/index.php

Another useful concept I have gained from studying CBT is that it really doesn't help to keep going over stuff from the past. I know some people find they need to do this to get better, but for me, because my anxiety is health related, fixating on how my anxiety had arisen didn't help. Analysis is paralysis, as they say. I am not yet back to the person I used to be by any means, but I'm getting better.

Best wishes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information