Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Court tomorrow and terrified

Court tomorrow and terrified

I'm so scared guys. I have to go to court tomorrow morning for not paying council tax. I had the summons through about 3 weeks ago and had every intention of discussing it with my care coordinator, but with everything that's going on in my life at the moment it totally slipped my mind. I was just coming to bed and it popped into my head, it's tomorrow and it's a t 9.45am so it's just not possible to get any of my care proffesionals to come with me, I just don't know what to do.
    I was up in court last month for not having a TV liscence, I didn't show for that but they just sentenced me in my abscence and fined me through the post, but this is different, much more serious because it's council tax. I don't ever discuss my finances with anyone, so no one knows about this, it's been a great struggle to hide it, and I've just cried and cried over it.
    What will happen if I don't go? Will I get arrested? I simply can't go without someone fighting my corner as I will say all the wrong things or say nothing at all. Knowing me and my illness I will clam up and cry in front of everyone. I have emotionally unstable personality disorder so things like this really effect me.
    I'm so anxious and scared, if I don't go and I get arrested my mother will find out and she doesn't know what kind of trouble I am in. She would be so dissapointed. Even if I told her and she came with me she wouldn't be the same as my support worker because they obviously have more clout. Do you think if I phoned the courts in the morning they would stop any kind of warrants to arrest me? I simply cannot go without my mental health support worker.
    Don't know what to do guys

Re: Court tomorrow and terrified

Have you contacted your MH worker yet?
    I know this is really, really scary but it is not going to kill you and things can be sorted. But you need to phone someone.

No I can't call them now until tomorrow. It's too late at the this time. I will call her in the morning.

Yes, do that. Remember for another time, if we leave it too long to face things it can get more scary and panicky. Please don't worry, you will not be the first person in this situation. Make sure to post tomorrow night so I'm not left worrying too long! XXX

I can't help it. I don't like people I don't know coming to the house and I very rarely open post because I am so frightened of what I am going to find or who I'm going to encounter. I know it's not going to kill me but it doesn't lessen the anxiety.
    I know I'm just going to get bullied into a corner and not be able to speak up. I mean how am I supposed to explain why I haven't paid it? I wouldn't mind but it wasn't even a large amount at first but then it got higher and higher. It's because I never paid council tax before and then I suddenly had to start paying it. Such a stupid stupid thing.

Hi. All I can suggest is that you ask to speak to a court solicitor. You are entitled by rights to be represented in court. That can be your back-up plan.

But first you MUST CALL your MH worker first thing in the morning as a matter of urgency. Do they have an answerphone you could call now? If so call it and leave a message asking them to call you first thing as a matter of urgency as soon as they hear the message. Soon as they're open though call them. They may not be able to send your MH worker, but they could send someone.

Do you have a printer attached to your computer? If so while you're sat down at this moment, try and write something out and explain your mental health problems, how you find it difficult to cope, what your life is like and you find it difficult to cope with everyday things. You have not had to worry about council tax before and since the benefit changes have taken place it's been too much too cope with and everything has got into a mess. Explain that you wrote the letter because you are very frightened and would not be able to speak up for yourself under pressure. Explain that you are sorry the council tax has not been paid and that if they will give you time you will be willing to comply with a repayment plan.

If you type that up now, you will not be under pressure when in the court in the morning and you can ask for it to be given to the court clerk for the magistrates to read.

As long as you are willing to sort the problem out the courts will look kindly on you. You will NOT be put into jail tomorrow!!!

I know you will be frightened, but you must go as it shows willingness on your part. If you don't then more problems might start. I know that sounds very scary and it's probably not what you want to hear but it's always best to know the truth.

It's not going to be a comfortable experience, but you have to do it. But do try and write something down tonight - even if you can't sleep which I doubt you'll be able to do, so use the time wisely.

When this is sorted, you must get help to keep your finances in order and open envelopes and start letting people come to visit you. In the long run sorting it out before it goes to another level like tomorrow is always preferable.

I wish you all the best tomorrow and come back and tell us how it went.

God Bless

---------- Post added at 00:08 ---------- Previous post was at 00:01 ----------

When this is sorted, you MUST get help with your finances and start talking to people. They are there to help. You will find it a HUGE weight off your shoulders if you get help.

I always like to turn these things around. If you came across a person who had problems and couldn't talk about things, wouldn't you want to help them? We have to learn to accept that kind people want to help us, that's why they take on these jobs because they enjoy what they do.

Get the help you need and TALK!!!!!

Thank you Shakey. I will ring them first thing. It's a good idea to write something down, I never thought of that. I am not going to get much sleep tonight as my mind won't shut down, so I can do that.
    I don't know what I'm going to do with my little boy though. My mother is on a rota with her sister to look after my sick Nana so she isn't available. I suppose I could ask my teenager to mind him (he's 16).
    I'm just trying to take deep breaths and relax. This is horrible. Thanks for the advice I will follow it.

Glad you've read my post. Promise me you will go tomorrow? Use psychology also. How old is your little boy? If you can't get someone to look after him, take him with you. Show that you don't have anyone to help and that you have a child to look after and life is very difficult and the only reason the council tax hasn't been paid is due to pressure at home, mental health problems and it was through forgetfulness rather than wilfully not wishing to pay it, that it has remained unpaid.

They'll look at you and take pity on you.

All psychology like the football mangers use to have a go at the opposing team before a match.

I'm going to send you another private message

Good advice Shakey. Thinking of you Sweetheart, gird your loins. x

I'm getting impatient for some news. Hope it's gone OK

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information