Thread: Fluoxetine not working?

Fluoxetine not working?

Hi,

I wondered if anyone could give me some advice.

I'd been taken Citalopram for 3.5 years until the beginning of July where I was having increasing suicidal thoughts and intense mood swings. My dosage was reduced for a week, then I spent a week and a half on 20mg Citalopram and 20mg fluoxetine - it was great. Its been a long time since I'd felt that good. I then was taken off Citalopram completely and left with 20mg of Fluoextine. I've been taken the fluoxetine by itself since 23rd July but I seem to be getting worse.

My mood swings and intense and rapid, I'm self harming, I have almost constant suicidal thoughts, I feel so angry and weepy and I'm having these things pop into my head where I can see myself doing really awful things to myself and it's scary. My anxiety has been incredibly high this week, I have taken Propranolol (40mg) to help calm it.

I don't know whether I need to talk to the doctor about trying something else, to up them to 40mg or to just give them more time.

If anyone has experienced anything similar, I'm open to suggestions before going to the doc on Monday.

Thanks in advance,

RubyT

Re: Fluoxetine not working?

I think you are having start up side effects of the fluox and withdrawal effects of the Cit. However I'm not a Dr so urge you to see your GP and seek a professional opinion, you shouldn't have to suffer like that lovely. Have you got any support to help you to Monday? X

---------- Post added at 21:59 ---------- Previous post was at 21:58 ----------

Does the propanolol help and do you have any benzo's such as valium to help? X

Thanks for replying OncewasSupergirl, I'm making an appointment first thing Monday and luckily I do have some good support for the weekend. I think I can deal with it being side effects and withdrawal, at least I know that won't last forever, it's just a case of hanging on in there.

The propanolol definitely helped the anxety, not so much the other things which I guess are more depression anyway and I don't have any benzos, is that something which might be worth speaking to the doc about?

Thanks again for replying, hope you're well x

RubyT -I used benzos early on when I needed to sleep. Sometimes just having them around helped. It was a comfort to know I could take them and they would work if I really needed them. I personally do not like what I refer to as the after-burn of benzos. Some people equate it to a hangover. I had issues with alcohol many years ago and it just reminds me too much of that experience. None the less they helped with sleep and when I was in a high anxiety state, I did not notice the after effects. When I did become sensitive to that feeling I knew it was time to step away. Hope it helps. You can always ask the doc and try minimal doses to see how it works, if he/she is OK with that.

Thanks MastiffMan, I went to the doc this morning and she's taken me off fluoxetine and onto venlafaxine so fingers crossed! No mention of benzos though reading the leaflet of venlafaxine, it seems to knock you out anyway!

Thread Information