Thread: Anxiety over underlying health conditions

Anxiety over underlying health conditions

Since suffering my first panic attack in March this year I have a major fear of heart issues. I used to get frequent palpitations but these have decreased drastically and are no longer my issue. What worries me lately is my breast bone aches occasionally and I fear heart related problems. I am also tired a lot (although I do have depression and have struggled for years with getting out of bed etc so in a way I think this is part of me now due to my ongoing struggle with depression and now anxiety). I also occasionally get a mild pain behind my left breast (not in my breast definitely behind) but I have read heart related pain would be in the centre. I have mentioned this to my doctor and he asked if it was more of a niggle which I said yes and he nodded as if to say 'anxiety'.
    I don't really think I have a heart problem but it does worry me occasionally and for some reason lately it had been on my mind more. I have had 2 ECG's in my lifetime one in March and one 6 years ago. I have also had blood tests when I went to A&E with palpitations. I have also had a miscarriage for which I needed to be put to sleep and a full term pregnancy (daughter now 6). Basically, all I want to know is the likelihood of me having an underlying heart condition. Surely it would have been picked up by now?
    I also have had mild fears regarding brain tumour, blood clot and MS so I know I have true health anxiety and am sure that's all this is but the fear is still there (albeit a lot less than it was a few months ago).

Re: Anxiety over underlying health conditions

Heart issues are one of my biggest fears as well, the doctors gave me a chest X-ray, bloods etc and said because of my age they would not bother with an ecg. I like you also fear other things, blood clots, ALS etc. I find that lots of chest pain is posture related, sometimes when I get it I simply sit up straight and it fades. Everyone with anxiety has a lack of energy but if you had a serious heart related problem you would likely struggle to walk to the shops! I know its easy to say, but try not to waste your time worrying, I find it helps to say 'well if I did have a serious health problem that I might die from, would I want to waste my last days worrying at home!' I hope I helped

Thanks nico. I'm sure your right about struggling to walk if I did have a serious condition. Incidentally I walked to the town today which took about 40 mins and the other week I walked there and back. Do you think an ECG would have picked anything up in the rare chance I had something?

yes probably aha, that is what they are meant to do, unless you are old, smoke etc you have nothing to be worried about.

Good. I am 24, don't smoke or drink, am in a healthy weight range (although admittedly my weight is creeping up). Darn anxiety though! I hate it. Haven't been to Docs in 5 almost 6 weeks and don't really want to go back as I have been at least 6 times since March. About 4 of them ended up with me crying like a baby haha.

At 24 it is very unlikely that you have a heart condition unless you have some congenital defect which would have probably come to light by now or shown on the ecg's. If you don't have any symptoms like blackouts, feeling faint, breathlessness, I would think it is very unlikely that your heart is an issue.

Note that I say unlikely, not impossible. Part of the problem with health anxiety is that we constantly seek reassurance - we want to know 100% that we are ok. We have to learn to live with uncertainty and understand that although something bad might happen, the chances are that it won't.

My anxiety is focussed on my heart too. I have thousands of pvcs (palpitations) a day at time and struggle to accept that they are harmless. At 24 please don't waste your life waiting for a disaster that isn't going to happen.

I have mentioned these books before but they are really good -

Claire Weekes - Self Help for your Nerves - fantastic book.
    Richard Carlson - Stop Thinking Start Living
    Robert Leahy - The Worry Cure

Hope this helps.

I have no info about much heart stuff, as that is not my area of worry, but I can tell you that the breastbone ache is totally benign! It's called chostochondritis (sp?) and it affects the best of us!

Thanks for the books I'll have a look into those.
    Jen, my rational side was telling me about Costochonditis as a few weeks ago my ribs were sore at the sides underneath my armpit. At first I thought it was breast pain but the doc said that's my ribs hehe. I'm trying my absolute hardest not to go back to the doctors just yet, but I do have a small urge to make an appointment.

---------- Post added at 23:46 ---------- Previous post was at 23:36 ----------

Also my breastbone (sternum?) is tender to touch, I believe that's a good sign?

Thread Information