Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: From zero to hero in 4 months

Smile From zero to hero in 4 months

Afternoon to all the lovely people of NMP,

I would first like to start my post with a big 'thank you' to all of you. I'm not an active poster, but very much a 'lurker' . Reading your success stories gave me hope that there was a light at the end of the tunnel, reading your trials and tribulations on medication gave me the insight I needed to ensure I was prescribed the right ones for me, and reading your support messages for each other filled me with a warmth which I found endearing. You really are extraordinary people.

Without boring you all too much, a little bit about me:

At 28, and recently married some 12 months before to the love of my life and a truly remarkable gentleman, I had it all. The successful career, the sleek car, the gorgeous house, the money, the lifestyle. It was pretty perfect. I was confident, the go-getter, the problem-solver, the one that was going to reach her first million. Never was I going to suffer from anxiety! WRONG!

30th March 2013 will be etched on my brain for a long time! The night of my first panic attack. It was a bank holiday weekend and by all accounts it was going pretty well, I was relaxed, I had just finished watching 'The Avengers' on the box and went to run a bubble bath.

As I got in the bath, I remember feeling 'odd', although couldn't put my finger on it. A few minutes later my legs started trembling uncontrollably, I felt sick so got out the bath and ending up throwing up. I went to the bedroom and lay on the bed trying to figure out what the hell was going on! Then came the shortness of breath, that's it off to A and E I go as I'm obviously having a heart attack!

3 hours, an ECG and numerous blood tests later, the doctors ruled that I was as healthy as a horse and what I had experienced was panic. OK, no biggy I thought, went home and slept soundly that night.

It all changed the very next morning when I had awoken to be greeted by an unwelcome visitor - ANXIETY!

From that day I had it all: sickness, nausea, loss of appetite, insomnia, racing thoughts, intrusive thoughts, trembling, pit of the stomach type of anxiety, sweaty hands, wooly head and some other transient symptoms like being too aware of my breath. (The last one I particularly hated!).

5 days in to this godawful predicament, I phoned my private health insurance and asked to see a psychologist. Within 48 hours I was in front of one (god bless private healthcare!). Although the first appointment was useful I wanted her to fix me there and then! As we all know recovery simply doesn't happen like that. At this point I was signed off work for 5 weeks.

After a few CBT appointments I had decided to try the medication route. First I was tried on Citalopram for 4 weeks. However for me, it sent my anxiety through the roof and the nausea was unbearable (even diazepam didn't scratch the surface) so my GP switched me to Sertraline for a week, but again I had the same side effects. So GP and I decided to stop them and give my body a break from medication (this was end of May).

Throughout June I tried to beat anxiety med-free and although my symptoms were slowly subsiding it was tough and demoralising as I hadn't fixed myself yet! So not surprisingly I developed some low level depression. It was at this point that I told the GP to prescribe me Pregabalin (having seen a few people here have success with it).

I noticed a marked improvement on Pregabalin almost immediately. The first night I took it and slept right through, I no longer woke with that pit-in-the-stomach feeling, it gave me my appetite back and I no longer felt nauseous! Yeehaw! However it did nothing for my mood, so two weeks into treatment I asked the GP to introduce 15mg Mirtazepine.

It took about 3 weeks for the Mirtazapine to start to lift my mood, but when it did, that in combination with the Pregabalin, meant I was/am starting to feel more like my oldself

I have been on the Mirt and Pregabalin combo for nearly a month now, I'm starting to love life like I used to. I'm back at work full time, visiting the cinema, going for meals and having family BBQs (thanks to the gorgeous UK weather we have been having).

So don't be disappointed if you have to aboard the medication merry go round before you find the right combination for you. There's an arsenal of medication out there, so have faith.

And if you're in the depths of despair, take comfort in that fact that I was there with you once upon a time, and I have come out the other side stronger than before.

You will get back to your oldself, trust me!

Wishing you all good health xxx
    Last edited by amyvic; 04-08-13 at 20:05.

Re: From zero to hero in 4 months

So glad you are feeling better Amy and thanks for sharing your positive story, I enjoyed reading it and it does show, there is hope. xx

what an inspiration you are, thank you for sharing such a wonderful outcome xx bless you .

I'm glad the meds are working for you..
    Just be aware that if and when you decide to come off them, you could be back to square one. I was.

Thank you all. At one point I lost my way, but I'm back on track

Hi Stormsky - I'm not relying totally on the medication. I still have weekly meetings with my psychologist and attend weekly meditation classes.

I'm fortunate to be able to identify the 'stressor' that sent me on this journey - I was basically working 50 hour weeks, no breaks, not eating breakfast or lunch, and doing 3 manager's jobs! It was inevitable that something like this was going to happen, I wasn't listening to my body so it delivered a sucker punch!

I've completely changed my attitude to work - I make sure I have my lunch break and finish on time every day. If something doesn't get done then tough! This journey of self discovery has made me realise that my husband and family trump my career every time!
    Last edited by amyvic; 04-08-13 at 20:05.

Congratulations on finding a solution that works for you.

Part of the problem may have been identifying yourself as 'the dream' as well (the job, the car, the perks etc etc). None of that actually matters, and you (people in general) tend to put themselves under a lot of stress (whether they identify it as stress or not) trying to achieve irrelevant goals.

I say that as an ex 'goal achiever'. All that really matters is your health, your happiness and those that are close to you.

Good luck.

Could not agree more! Just a shame it took this journey to figure that out!

A truly inspirational story.Well done on your success.

Thanks Punky! Just got back from a group meditation class - would highly recommend. Was able to zone out for 90 minutes with a wonderful leader and amazing background music. x

that's fantastic and really good to read, particularly at the moment.
    Your story really hit a nerve with me - my anxiety spiralled about 18 months ago when I was running a business, working stupid hours and just very unhappy.
    Basically my brain broke, and I'm glad it did as I re-evaluated my life, changed it completely and am now in a much better situation. However, my brain remains slightly broken and I still suffer from persistent negative thoughts. I'm reluctant to go down the medication route, but will be having cbt/ therapy shortly.
    Thanks for sharing your success - it's certainly given me hope.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information