Thread: The weirdest things that cause a surge of health anxiety

The weirdest things that cause a surge of health anxiety

A major thing i often get with health anxiety. Often times the most minor and insignificant sensation or pain can cause me to start panicking. Just now i felt a minor stinging sensation on a localized part of my chest (as in only a small part of it, not enough to be organ related), and at the same time i tried swallowing for some reason, only to struggle. This put me in a panic state for a few seconds before i calmed down.

Does this happen to you? Its something i have always had with my health anxiety and usually its a combination of two things at once that trigger it off.

Re: The weirdest things that cause a surge of health anxiety

I'm exactly the same. Most of my anxiety attacks revolve around fears of my heart giving up on me! I'm in my early 20's and at a healthy weight, don't smoke, don't drink... Yet I still panic that I'm going to have a heart attack of sorts. Whenever I get ANY heart attack symptom (chest pain, numb arm/face, feeling weak etc) I have a surge of panic. So I know exactly what you mean, and it sucks.

Oh yes, I am hypersensitive to every little feeling/sensation/thought, and I can get thrown into a panic in no time. It's really awful and seems so silly afterwards!

I used to get this as soon as I found out that some celebrity had died of natural causes.

I also used to get it whenever I saw anything to do with the heart on TV, whenever anyone mentioned socially that someone had died, got cancer or had a heart attack.
    Author, How to Beat Health Anxiety - "Absolutely the best book I have ever read on health anxiety. It was obvious that the author struggled with this in his own life and has overcome it. That's what gives hope to others who are going through this. Read this book if you are suffering! It will help you!" - Amazon Reviewer

yep. this is a characteristic of my HA... mind exaggerates a slight symptom. These are my symptoms:

slight cough - must be lung cancer
    Itchy bottom from small piles - anal cancer
    chest twinge - heart attack, aneurysm
    Headache - brain haemorrhage
    Swallowing problems (globus) - oesophageal cancer
    twinge in ovaries - ovarian cancer
    Slight tingle after eating something - anaphalactyic shock
    and the list goes on...!

Thread Information