Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Numb hand in night - waking me up

Numb hand in night - waking me up

Hi all

I know we have loads of posts about numb arms and legs and tingling arms etc but I am trying to find someone that can relate to this.

Every night in bed I am awoken cos my left hand is numb and I sleep on my right hand side so how does that happen? It goes on and off all night! It freaks me sometimes cos I can't get the sensation back for a few minutes.

I can also lay on my back and my left hand goes numb and sometimes my right one too.

It is really starting to annoy me now.

I don't sleep on the hand that goes numb and I wake up and am quite aware that I am not sleeping/laying on it so what causes it?

I am not anxious atall - this has been going on for over 6 months now but like most of us I don't go to docs cos he will just insisit I am sleeping on it and I know I am not.

I asked the BUPA doc a few weeks ago and he said it wasn't a trapped nerve cos I would have it all day and suggested I see doc. Easier said than done - that will be another 3 week wait then!

Anyone know what causes it and how to stop it? I have replaced my pillows to orthopedic (spelling) ones and we have a serious new state of the art mattress and bed.

It is only at night and not in the day but is waking me up.

Do I have a trapped nerve that only shows when laid down? Am I going mad? It is not anxiety cos I hardly suffer that now and this is constant.

Any ideas? Just to-reiterate I sleep on my right and this is my left arm but can be my right one too but very rarely.

Any ideas or experience of this? What was the outcome?

People will forget what you said
    People will forget what you did
    But people will never forget how you made them feel

Nicola

Hi Nic,

I have a problem with my left foot going numb in bed. I've had it years now and doesn't annoy me any more. My doctor told me it was my anxiety and it's only been in the past 2 years I've believed her because I'm still alive. I do believe a lot of numbness and tingling in our anxiety bodies are always on the left side.

Take Care

Mandyxx

Hi Nic,

I've not had this (unless I've layed on my hands) but it sounds a bit like carpel tunnel syndrome to me maybe? I think that gives symtpoms at night mostly and can definitely cause numb hands. It may not be though as it can cause pain too I think and you don't mention pain. Just an idea anyway and maybe your doctor can help more.

Take care,

Lisa x

hello Nic.

i have this every night and it wakes me up every time !!!!
    i don't have any idea what is causing it either. i wish i did know
    sometimes i can't even move my hand unless i pick it up with my
    other hand and there have been times where i cound'nt even open
    my hand without opening it up with the other hand
    so i'm no help to this maybe someone else will come along

heidi (judi)

Well obviously it is an intermittent prob then and there is comfort to be had from knowing it is only happening when you are laid down.

I was going to say a trapped nerve until I read down a little further. I wonder whether its worth seeing a chiropractor - they can be really good at this sort of thing. It's got to be something connected with your position hasn't it or it would be happening by day too.

I do regularly get numb arms in the middle of the night (cos I have slept on them) you should see me waving my very heavy totally numb arm around the room in the darkness, frantically trying to get the feeling back - I look like a flippin mad monkey! Even worse if it happens to a leg and you try and get out of bed and crumble to the floor (try doing that quietly in the middle of the night)!!

You are obviously compressing something mate [:I]

One should never be compressed in bed - unless asked politely first!!!

Love Piglet xx

Hi Nic

I was going to suggest the same as Lisa - this sounds like it could be carpal tunnel syndrome which often occurs at night and is quite common, particularly when using a keyboard quite a lot.

Do you find it affects some fingers more than others?

There are things that can help like physio or sometimes steroid injections into the tunnel where the nerves run through the wrist into the hand. I don't think you are mad, imagining it but it doesn't sound serious either. The tunnel the nerves runs through is quite narrow and sometimes becomes inflamed.

Perhaps ask for a second opinion if your doctor is dismissing the symptoms.

Karen xx

I had this as well. My doctor said it was Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and suggested I get a brace. I got one and it helped some nights.

"Be The Change You Want To See In The World"...

Take Care of You,

Tina

Hi Nic,

My bother had exactly the same symptoms has you. It was Carpal tunnel syndrome I have just e mailed him and he told me its very common condition in the IT industry my brother is a web designer.

He asked me to pass this on too you:

Carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) is a medical condition in which the median nerve is compressed at the wrist causing symptoms like tingling, numbness, night time wakening. So you are not going mad.

He also said not too worry he was given anti inflammatorys and they worked for him. If you can't get too see your doctor Nic for three weeks this may help put ice on your wrist at night and try and keep it a straight as possible not easy working in IT eh ? Hope this helps.

Mel xxx

I often have a numb finger upon waking up at a normal time and it lasts for 30 minutes or so. Can be different fingers though. It doesnt usually wake me up, and I just see it as an anxiety symptom.

Sorry I cant be of much help Nic, as so many of us do have anxiety enough to make it a symptom. Maybe its a left over symptom as you still suffer a bit, don't you?

Ray

http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
    ~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

Found this on the web Nic

when somepeople tense up, they can tense up so tightly that they can turn off the blood supply to parts of the body, thus the numbness. And when you feel that, the anxiety increases, and other areas also feel numb like the lips, etc. Try a test on yourself. When you feel your hand go number, with that same hand, make a clenched fist and tight as you can and also tighten up those are muscles. Make the tightest fist you can and tighten those arm muscles and hold it for 30 seconds. Then completely release. See if the numbness in your hand goes away.

Hope it helps
    xxx
    Sandy

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information