Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Numb hand in night - waking me up

hi Nicola,yepi get it too!?I assumed it was poor circulation as i am overwieght and dont exercise in fact it has made me think i have a heart problem[well i would wouldn't i!!]I think the others may be right about you tho as you work in i.t..I dont suppose you have cysts on your wrists Nic?I have ganglion cysts on both of mine[mm how very attractive!]maybe thats why my hands go numb???never thought of that.I think you should see your dr,and dont let him fob you off!!!Love Mary Rose.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

we are all in the same boat and can guide each other ashore

Wow

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Last night I didn't get it atall but still didn't sleep well anyway lol.

I will certainly read up on Carpal tunnel syndrome as that sounds likely to me.

I have made a docs appointment but can't get in for 2 weeks. Oh well - I have had it months so what is another 2 weeks.

Do you think I should let him diagnose and then mention Carpal tunnel syndrome if he comes up with nothing else?

Anyway - thanks so much - I never google'd this so it is interesting a few of you came up with the same thing.

Cheers

People will forget what you said
    People will forget what you did
    But people will never forget how you made them feel

Nicola

Hey Nic,

Funny, I get this too. Is it all to do with anxiety???? i dunno. I know it has many symptoms which I am sick of. Like you I changed me bed and all me bedding but didn't make a difference. So I dunno what it is. But it always seems to affect the left arm and hand. odd. Sorry ye not sleeping too good. Yet another of these annoying symptoms. Hope it settles soon and if ye find out anything I'd be interested to know too.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))) ))))))))))))))
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Take care,

Lin.
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Nic.

You could certainly ask him to rule Carpal tunnel syndrome out. I do this with my doctor after I have told him my symptoms and listened to his diagnosis and he will then tell me why he knows I haven't such or such.

It helps too put my mind at rest.

Mel xxx

Hi Nic,

I sometimes lean on my left elbow and hand when reading on the computer at my desk and I think it makes my arm and hand go numb and night. Of course, my right arm and hand also does this but I think it is due to my sleeping on my right side. If you also tend to lean on your arm and elbow this might be causing some problems. Just a thought!

Take care and I hope you resolve this issue.

Bel

"Our thoughts are our reality"

I have discovered that although I lay on my right hand side I have my left arm over and I am leaning on it with the wrist bent so that may explain somethings.

So could still be carpal tunnel.

Will see what doc says in 2 weeks I guess.

Nicola

Hi Nic,

Have you considered the posibility that you are suffering from an RSI? (Repetative Strain Injury)

You use a keyboard day and night. Your right hand has the freedom of extra movement, as thats the hand which you operate your mouse with. The left is constantly situated on the keyboard (or holding a wine glass).

Now, you say it doesnt cramp up during the day..... prehaps it needs the resting period for the RSI to happen... that is probably why it only happens after you have stopped using the keyboard (that is in bed) (You dont use the damn thing in bed too I would hope)

Carpal Tunnel is invariably associated with quite a lot of pain, as it is nerve related. As you show no signs of pain, Im not so sure you have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

However, I am not a Doctor, and you should seek professional medical assistance. Good Luck, and I hope the irritation goes away soon.

TTFN

Ross x

------------------------------------------------
    Is There Really Gravity, Or Does Earth Just Suck?

Ross

I know very little about RSI to be honest so could be that.

I hold the wine in my right hand haha so yes it gets more use than the left one!

I don't have any pain no - just the numbness at night which wakes me up.

Thanks for the reply
    x

Nicola

Well I went to the doctor's today - didn't see my usual one as it is impossible to get to see him within a month's time-frame and even this appointment was booked 2 weeks ago! Anyway, that is another gripe lol.

He did various tests on each hand and got me to resist him pushing each finger, then my hand and my thumb and my wrist and so on.

Then he tapped on the inside of the wrist just above the hand and asked if I had any tingling which I did very slightly the first time.

He said it was carpal tunnel syndrome like a lot of you already suggested - so thanks for that.

There are 3 treatments for it:

1) a wrist splint

2) An anti-inflammatory injection

3) An operation

I don't fancy an operation; I don't like the idea of the anti-inflammatory drugs so I said I would give the wrist splint a go.

He has to refer me to a physiotherapist who will also prescribe the wrist splint and that will take 1-2 weeks from now.

He suggested that I could try taking Neurofen each night before going to bed but there is a chance it will interfere with my asthma and some people get bad indigestion with it so I really don't want to take that either.

He also mentioned that sometimes this problem is related to the thyroid gland which interests me as I have problems losing weight and my mum keeps telling me it could be a thyroid issue.

I thought I had it checked earlier this year but he looked at the notes and it was Nov 2005 so I think when I see my usual doctor next week I will ask if they will re-check it.

Will let you know how it goes!

Funnily enough I was searching for this post and found one I did in Nov 2005 about the same thing so I have had it over a year and didn't even realise!

Thanks for all the advice and looks like some of you were spot on!

Nicola

Mate,

Glad it is sorted, at least it will put your mind at rest now and it can now be treated.

Love

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information