Thread: How to move into the workplace?

How to move into the workplace?

Hi everyone. I'm looking to go back to work after not working for a few years due to my anxiety. The last time I worked was about 3 years ago and that job did not go too well leading me to quit after just a matter of months. It totally knocked my confidence and although I look for jobs I no longer feel I'm good enough for any of them despite having several years of work experience, some voluntary experience and being educated to degree level. How would I go about explaining the long period of absence from the work place? I'd really like to read about the experiences of others who have found themselves in a similar situation and I'd also appreciate any advice anyone can offer.

Bella

Re: How to move into the workplace?

Me too. I'm six months on the six and want to work again. Not sure I will get back to what I was doing. Want something easy and social, but am struggling in my mind to start looking.

It's a difficult one..it's competitive out there now, so many people going for one job..and if your CV is missing 3 yrs of employment , it won't look favourable ..and unfortunately, being honest on your CV won't help either.
    I didn't work for a year due to my anxiety, but luckily got a part time job and they didnt ask to see my CV.
    Maybe do some voluntary work, it may lead to a job.

Smile Re: How to move into the workplace?

Quote Originally Posted by Bellablue View Post
    Hi everyone. I'm looking to go back to work after not working for a few years due to my anxiety. The last time I worked was about 3 years ago and that job did not go too well leading me to quit after just a matter of months. It totally knocked my confidence and although I look for jobs I no longer feel I'm good enough for any of them despite having several years of work experience, some voluntary experience and being educated to degree level. How would I go about explaining the long period of absence from the work place? I'd really like to read about the experiences of others who have found themselves in a similar situation and I'd also appreciate any advice anyone can offer.

Bella
    Although the job market can be a bit competitive it is possible to get a job. I graduated from University last year and found it difficult to get a full time job. I was only able to get a part time job for a few months. Now after a year of graduating I've finally started working in a full time office job. It took me five months to get a job and I had about 8 interviews which I got rejected for 7 of them. I have anxiety and felt exactly the same when I was applying for jobs. I would keep telling myself that I would not be able to do certain jobs despite being qualified to do them. I also worried about if I could cope working and if I could do the job.

You obviously have strengths as you're degree educated, have done volunteering and have several years of work experience. There are organisations such as Careers Wales, Working Links which can provide advice about working which could be a good start. One example comes to mind, is that a friend of mine had not worked for four years due to ill health and managed to get a job almost instantly when she regained her health. However there are people who have been unemployed for a long time and have applied for 100's of jobs and don't seem to be having success. My advice would be to take things slow and apply for jobs you think you're able to do and be happy in. Tailor your job applications and make sure you have plenty of time to read through them and prepare for interviews. Also if you get rejections for jobs try not to take them to heart and carry on applying. Volunteering could help boost your work experience and also get you use to working again so it may be worth trying it out if you want to. You will get a job but it may take time. I would say if you feel ready throw yourself into applying for jobs and good luck!

All the best.
    Last edited by PunkyFish; 06-08-13 at 19:58.

Hi everyone.

Thanks for the responses, they've help me feel more positive about my situation.

PunkyFish, I'll check out the organisations you have suggested. Interviews are always quite difficult for me. If I'm really anxious my head goes totally blank and I forget almost everything. Perhaps I need to take more time thinking about and planning what I'd really like to do.

When I was at uni, working and volunteering I always struggled to feel comfortable around people. The people in the last place I worked were really horrible- there was a bullying culture in the office. Thinking about facing that again and the feelings I get being around people I don't really know, or feel intimidated by, fills me with dread.

I maybe should have mentioned that in the past few years I've experienced a number of life changing events which have affected me a lot: a big move, the illness of a parent and a death within the family. I've thought about mentioning these things on my CV but I'm not sure how to word it or whether it would really be a good thing to do.

Bella

Quote Originally Posted by Bellablue View Post
    Hi everyone.

Thanks for the responses, they've help me feel more positive about my situation.

PunkyFish, I'll check out the organisations you have suggested. Interviews are always quite difficult for me. If I'm really anxious my head goes totally blank and I forget almost everything. Perhaps I need to take more time thinking about and planning what I'd really like to do.

When I was at uni, working and volunteering I always struggled to feel comfortable around people. The people in the last place I worked were really horrible- there was a bullying culture in the office. Thinking about facing that again and the feelings I get being around people I don't really know, or feel intimidated by, fills me with dread.

I maybe should have mentioned that in the past few years I've experienced a number of life changing events which have affected me a lot: a big move, the illness of a parent and a death within the family. I've thought about mentioning these things on my CV but I'm not sure how to word it or whether it would really be a good thing to do.

Bella
    It sounds to me you've had a rough few years but I would say if you feel ready then maybe give it a shot and try and find a job. I can't really say that you should or shouldn't mention the life changing events in your CV. The best people to ask would be a careers/recruitment adviser as they have the necessary skills to help you. I've always felt uncomfortable about some people but luckily I work in a small and friendly office which really does help lessen my anxiety. I've worked in some bad jobs with people gossiping/backstabbing but not all work places are like that. I think it's more about finding a job which you can do and feel comfortable in.

Thread Information