Thread: 5 months with depersonalization - Did i forget who I AM?

Unhappy 5 months with depersonalization - CAN YOU FORGET WHO YOU ARE?

Did you feel like you are not your self? Is it possible to forget who you are?

I've had panic attacks since october last year, and when this stopped in Jan,13 I've started to feel depersonalized literally 24-7...my hands didn't feel like mine, my voice didn't feel like mine, i kept wondering how is that i live and how is it to be human since i feel like a robot, and i couldn't even see properly since i have been feeling like i have a glass at the front of my eyes like something is blocking me...All this feelings have lessened since im on the Citalopram 10mg, but all this time Ive been thinking that I'm not feeling like my self! And I couldn't recognize or connect with my self in the mirrow :(( I didn't feel like ME for 5 months!And this is the worst...I'm scared that i will forget or have already forgot who I am!!!?? This just keeps going on in my mind and it drives me mad...pls help me to understand..did anyone felt like that and overcame this?
    Thank you for your reply in advance..
    Last edited by agi; 06-08-13 at 22:12.

Re: 5 months with depersonalization - Did i forget who I AM?

There are a lot of us who are suffering or have suffered with depersonalization. I don't have it 24/7 but I have moments of it everyday, like during dinner for me tonight.

Th fact that you have had this feeling for 5 months but haven't lost or forgotten yourself shows that you're in no danger, it's just a side effect of anxiety. I try to remind myself of this during the scarier moments.

Wishing you the best.

very true.....So like you, i just need to keep reminding this to myself rather than waiting for this to happen...recently its better i can connect with the world and it comes on and off..only those scary thoughts that IM NOT MYSELF are hunting me...but thoughts are just words! I need to remember that too..
    Many thanks for your reply xvolatileheart, very kind of you..
    all the best
    a.

Interesting question, and something I've pondered myself many times.

I often have dreams in which I'm the same person I was a few years back, then I remember in the dream that I 'should' be experiencing panic or anxiety.

I feel for sure that prolonged anxiety (in my case on and off for several years) has changed me permanently, but that doesn't necessarily have to be a negative. There are some traits to my personality that I don't want back (arrogance) and some that I want to keep (humility).

Ultimately, the person I am will be the person I choose to be.

Interesting answer ankietyjoe....

..i've lost confidence and believe in my self, and need to re-learn how to make the right choices..it's not easy when my mnd is telling me that im a stranger to myself, without feelings and hope...but i guess, i still have a choice if to believe it or not..

Will definitely bare this in mind; "..the person I am will be the person I choose to be".. Great sentence, brave thinking...!

Many thanks!
    Agi

Thread Information