Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is it normal to have mushy (not liquid) bowel from time to time ?

is it normal to have mushy (not liquid) bowel from time to time ?

Hi !

I'm trying to end it once for always ...

Don't tell me the usual ''oh its IBS''

I went to a GI and he gave me no medication and was kinda tired of hearing my story so I guess I'm not the typical IBS case. I did all the imaginable tests.

Here it is ... 80% of my BM are fine but I have that odd mushy one that you can feel coming you know what I mean once in a while (like once or twice per month)

Is a normal (I'm probably normal I think but for the purpose of the thread ...) person have 100% efficency on their bowel and never have cramps or loose/mushy ones ? Or they just don't care and move on ? I'm always assuming that ''this can't be normal'' ... he diagnosed me with food intolerance and sent me to a nutritionist so it's probably it. But just to calm my mind and to get over it with life.

Re: is it normal to have mushy (not liquid) bowel from time to time ?

I think this is quite normal and depends on what you have been eating.

I would be lucky if I didn't have mushy ones lol

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

What would be the difference between that and IBS.

Everybody says : its IBS

I think we need to put things in context ... So we stop worrying.

To me IBS is ''chronic'' ... ''Non stop'' or it may stop a few days and then its back again ... Not just once or twice a month. On another forum someone told me IBS can be once or twice a month. No wonder why everybody is getting anxious as soon as they have a mushy one ...

I don't think it is IBS at all, I think it is perfectly normal to have bowel movements like you describe. Easier said than done but please don't worry about this any longer xx

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    I would be lucky if I didn't have mushy ones lol

+ 1

Or should that be + 2

thanks Sarah ! So conforting

What IBS feels like then compared to what I have ? You have those urges sometimes too ?

Hello jazz.what you describe is what happens to my partner with about the same frequency. Unexplained urgent & mushy (or worse) BM's. we have come to the conclusion that food must be the trigger. It hasn't been possible to work out exactly what food though but we have a few likely culprits on the list. It also happens to me sometimes as well. In my case i can nearly always place a link to something I have eaten (or usually over-eaten) so I have to avoid a few things or excesses of certain things as they always trigger an episode. I suppose ultimately it becomes a case of trying to identify the triggers and avoiding them. But I am sure, as others have said here that this is entirely normal and happens to most people at some point. hope this offers some reassurance.

Yes, occasionally I have liquidy/much softer BMs and sometimes the urge to go comes on me very quickly. I think it is entirely food-related (it seems to happen when I have eaten a rich meal, eg on holiday) and has happened on the odd occasion all my life, I never thought it could be IBS. It doesn't cause me any discomfort and I don't really think about it. Hope this helps and sorry if it was a bit graphic!

I don't wish to speak for absolutely everyone but I am pretty sure the vast majority of people experience BMs of different consistencies all the time xx

it could be normal or it could be ibs I have ibs and thank fully it doesn't occur all the time I can go a few weeks with it being ok and then I get so bad that I eat and have to run to the toilet within 5 mis of eating amd this can be upto 4 times after that particular meal

I aslo have trouble with certain foods like coleslaw or onions causing a bad stomach
    I cant eat shreddies cereals which I love lol

and if I even try to eat a pot noodle within two hours im on the toilet lol

I haven't managed to find out any link in theses foods although I know a few people who have trouble with coleslaw and onions

I don't think it is anything to worry about but defiantly look into food intolerance also my anxiety is bad with hormones the day before and the first day of my period and the anxiety can bring on the upset stomach but I also have friends who say they have bad stomachs at this time as well

keep a food diary and see if you can find any triggers
    frosty xx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information