Thread: Thinking of coming off altogether...

Smile Thinking of coming off altogether...

So quick bit of background - I was on Citalopram for nearly a year up until June this year, then felt like my anxiety was becoming a bit too much, so went back to my doc and was changed to Sertraline.

I've been on 100mg of Sert since beginning of June and in all honestly....I feel no different. I have ups and downs of anxiety still, as if I had never changed from the Citalopram.

My doc has given me a month and then I've got to go back, but to be honest, I'm thinking of just slowly taking myself off them. I feel now that I have gotten to a point where I know enough about myself and my issues to be able to cope with life without medication.

I'm a bit apprehensive because it's been just over a year since I was med-free and the last time I can remember being off meds was one of the worst times of my life. But I'm in a very different place now and hoping it will be better!

I have already slowed my intake of tablets to 100mg every other day or so for the past couple of weeks and haven't felt any difference. So I'm hoping that once I've stopped taking them I shouldn't get too many withdrawals mind you, starting both the Citalopram and Sert I had AWFUL side effects so I won't hold my breath...

Will keep you all updated!

Re: Thinking of coming off altogether...

Ok so I don't know whether or not because I've started telling people that I'm coming off my meds (told my parents last night who were massively in favour of it), but today I have felt ROUGH.

Woke up feeling exhausted, so much so that driving my 45 minute commute to work I felt like I was going to fall asleep at the wheel - not good.

For the past few days/week I have been getting a lot of head rushes when I stand up, to the point where I have lost my vision and nearly fallen over a couple of times.

Today I've been feeling incredibly light headed, dizzy and faint. I started smoking about 3 months ago which may well be having this effect on me but I don't know if this is just a coincidence? I was even slightly concerned about having to drive home this evening because of it.

I've also been sweating like mad! Our office is hot anyway (we're above a Pizza Hut ) but today was just ridiculous. Had to keep going and standing by the fan to cool down.

Like I said, I don't know if this is all just a bit of a psychological thing but it's made me a bit wary. Has anyone else had similar experiences coming off meds?

I've never used this particular med before, but it does sound like withdrawal effects. If you're finding it tough going, maybe go back to your doctor and ask for a more gradual tapering schedule?

I stopped taking completely, by mistake but thought I'd be ok...been on for about a year, first 10-14 days felt ok dizzy feeling u talk about disturbed sleep & very sweaty lol but was also on holiday & felt was not soo bad, plane home had panic/anxiety, anxious stomach & awful again today few days on for no reason hot tearful itchy aggravated couldn't catch breath & could just not snap out of it, I think from all advice if ready to come off wean down gently on a doctor's advice...maybe see different doc too some are not always so understanding. Good luck x

---------- Post added at 23:24 ---------- Previous post was at 23:18 ----------

I to had small anxiety pangs while taking sertraline but nothing like I've experienced before taking or since stopping so suddenly I am restarting & will try to discuss with doc coming off slowly but after this I'm not sure I'm ready, you need to do what u need to do, my parents all for me stopping & suggest all alternative methods, but honestly think only you know your feelings

---------- Post added at 23:25 ---------- Previous post was at 23:24 ----------

I to had small anxiety pangs while taking sertraline but nothing like I've experienced before taking or since stopping so suddenly I am restarting & will try to discuss with doc coming off slowly but after this I'm not sure I'm ready, you need to do what u need to do, my parents all for me stopping & suggest all alternative methods, but honestly think only you know your feelings

Quote Originally Posted by gdon View Post
    I stopped taking completely, by mistake but thought I'd be ok...been on for about a year, first 10-14 days felt ok dizzy feeling u talk about disturbed sleep & very sweaty lol but was also on holiday & felt was not soo bad, plane home had panic/anxiety, anxious stomach & awful again today few days on for no reason hot tearful itchy aggravated couldn't catch breath & could just not snap out of it, I think from all advice if ready to come off wean down gently on a doctor's advice...maybe see different doc too some are not always so understanding. Good luck x[COLOR="blue"]
    Glad that I'm not the only one who has experienced this!

I agree with what you say about doctors, my old doctor was brilliant, then I moved house and got a new doctor who basically kept telling me to come back in a month and see what happened! Hence why I decided to try and do this myself. I actually went to the doctor about 10 days ago after my dad had a bit of a fit about the fact I was weaning myself off, and saw a different doctor who was alright.

I'm now off the tablets completely and feeling ok...I've had a few ups and downs which I guess was only to be expected, but I'm coping.

I'm still seeing my counsellor (in fact, she's been on holiday for the past 3 weeks so haven't seen her for a while which hasn't helped) and hoping that in time I can find myself in a good enough place to stop the counselling too.

- Also forgot to add, I've been getting a horrific amount of 'brain zaps' (as I've discovered they're called!), not pleasant at all, feels like I'm being shocked every 10 minutes and throwing me a bit off balance.

So nearly 3 weeks after stopping my tablets, the brain zaps have subsided and I'm starting to feel a bit more 'normal'! Although my patience has been quite limited recently :/ but rather that than feeling nothing at all!

Thread Information