Thread: meds for severe adult seperation anxiety?

meds for severe adult seperation anxiety?

I am 21-years-old and I have panic disorder and agoraphobia. More recently, for the past 6 months since university ended, I have suffered from severe seperation anxiety. Every time my mum leaves the house I have extreme panic attacks and get diarrhea. I run around the house screaming and crying out 'mum!' It has gotten to the point that my mum can hardly go out anymore. Occasionally she will go out fairly nearby, but this still illicits panic attacks. I hate feeling like this, but I just feel helpless without my mum, which is why I panic without her.

I used to take 5-10mg Valium for panic attacks, but it did not stop them quickly enough. I have now been taking 2mg Xanax, which calms me down more quickly, but it doesn't completely relax me and I still have had panic attacks on it. Should I take a higher dose of Xanax? Would that help? Please help, what can I do?

Re: meds for severe adult seperation anxiety?

I have this. I can't do overnights on my own but am fine spending all dayand eve alone, as long as my parents aren't too far way. I'm on Citalopram. That, and lots of exposure hve got me to where I am today. I used to be able to spend weeks, month without them without a worry, but the it all hit me again. Try small steps gradually increasing get it - it's not quick but you'll get there.

Thread Information