Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Will the receptionist think I'm mad??

Re: Will the receptionist think I'm mad??

I actually rang my doctor's surgery today and have got myself a telephone appointment with the doctor on Monday. I told the receptionist that I didn't really want to waste the doctor's time with an actual in person appointment as I didn't think there was anything else she'd actually do in terms of physical examination, but that I'd just like to speak to her about my test results and ongoing symptoms, and she said that was fine. Unfortunately the doctor I've been seeing isn't in until Monday, but that's OK. So I'm going to ask the doctor not only to go through what the tests showed (I don't need to know the actual levels of whatever that were found; I just want to know what they tested for!) but also whether she thinks the length of recovery time still seems within the realms of 'normal', or at least 'not cause for concern'. It sounds like it is, I think - I've been a bit unlucky to be affected for this long, perhaps, but I know I'm not alone!

good for you emlica..... you have done the right thing. if i get sent for any blood tests i always take a look at the sheet before i happens & then i ask my doctor for a print out. it's been both informative and helpful for me to know what its all about. i think for someone who might get anxious and really worry about tests its better not to know but since you are using this to help you understand your symptoms & find ways of getting better its good. you are after all entitled to know why they have been jabbing you with needles eh? it's empowering too because you are taking control of the situation.

Good - I hope you get some reassurance keep us posted.

Thanks, Tessar. I'm probably a bit given to overanalysing results, which is why I don't really want to know the specifics to avoid the temptation to overanalyse! For instance, I'm fairly sure she tested for anaemia, and that came back normal. I don't think it would help me to know the exact level of iron, etc - just whether the doctor considers it normal is fine with me. But I would like her to explain what that means - as in, I'm not anaemic, so what does that rule out? Etc etc. I think there were about 6 boxes ticked on the nurse's screen but I don't remember what else was there (though I think Daisy Sue is right about inflammation markers)! Really I should just accept what the doctor said which was basically that the tests she'd suggested were to rule out 'anything else' that it could be, and as they were clear, it *isn't* anything else, but still...

(she also said 'it could take a couple of months' and it's only been 6 weeks, so I really should just CHILL OUT, but you know. Easier said than done. Plus I'm due on my period - in fact, it's late (but I'm not pregnant!), and I know my anxiety and general feelings of 'meh' always increase before my period, and it's even worse when it's late)

[QUOTE=emlica;1201304So did you not realise it was the lactose until late on? I think I've only just twigged. [/QUOTE]

Oops, sorry I didn't reply to this bit yesterday

I only figured it was worth trying lactose-free when I'd spent ages on the internet googling after effects of food poisoning (like you, I was starting to worry as it went on so long..) Anyway I read something about helicobacter pylori (HP for short) often flaring after food poisoning, and THAT can cause lactose intolerance, so I thought it was worth a try. My docs at that point had done the HP test but I didn't have the results yet. It was clear.. but as the lactose-free diet was helping so much, I stuck to it.

Just one thing I meant to mention, if you do decide to go lactose-free, and substitute dairy milk with soya milk - soya went through me like a steam train :( I think lots of people are ok on it, but I wasn't. Rice milk was fine though, and also the Lacto Free range of products that are in supermarkets.

I have not got a clue about blood tests. I have a cholesterol blood test done once a year. I once rang reception for my results and all she said was NORMAL.
    I asked her if she would give me the reading and she replied --we are not allowed to give the information out.-
    Anyway the next time I saw my GP I told her about what receptionist had said and she shook her head in dismay.
    Last year I went for my annual flu jab with the nurse. The manager of the practice
    happened to be there and said I had not had my yearly blood test, to make an appointment. I don't mind going to see the nurse, as I know her.
    I would have taken no notice if she had not said.
    I will ask the next time if I should have a fasting blood test. I have not had
    a fasting one for cholesterol for years.
    This thread has been very helpful to me
    Thank you all

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Sue View Post
    Oops, sorry I didn't reply to this bit yesterday

I only figured it was worth trying lactose-free when I'd spent ages on the internet googling after effects of food poisoning (like you, I was starting to worry as it went on so long..) Anyway I read something about helicobacter pylori (HP for short) often flaring after food poisoning, and THAT can cause lactose intolerance, so I thought it was worth a try. My docs at that point had done the HP test but I didn't have the results yet. It was clear.. but as the lactose-free diet was helping so much, I stuck to it.

Just one thing I meant to mention, if you do decide to go lactose-free, and substitute dairy milk with soya milk - soya went through me like a steam train :( I think lots of people are ok on it, but I wasn't. Rice milk was fine though, and also the Lacto Free range of products that are in supermarkets.
    Thanks! I think milk was definitely directly related to the few episodes of diarrhoea that I was having - it was the only thing in my diet that had changed when I went from seeing improvement to seeming to go downhill again. Since cutting it out that side of things has definitely improved and I've not really had proper diarrhoea since. I had a cheese sandwich at lunchtime as a bit of an experiment and so far - 3 1/2 hrs later - I'm not aware of any effects (and in my experience milk made itself known PDQ!), so I don't think mine is especially severe and I can already, I think, tolerate a little lactose. Actually, today (3 days since I last drank milk) things have also been less mushy and I've not felt the same gurgly feelings after eating - though I am a bit queasy, but I suspect that's at least partly PMS! So it's looking a bit like it's going back to some of the (oh so small) improvements I was seeing a couple of weeks ago before going back on the evil milk. Fingers crossed.

You do sound very much like you're at the stage I was.. I was consoling myself with cups of tea through the day, and half a cream cracker here & there, as that's all I could manage.. didn't realise the milk in the tea was actually aggravating things!

I still don't have much 'normal' milk, like I say I'm ok with the occasional amount in a tea or coffee, but for cereal and drinks at home, I've stayed with the Lacto Free.

Glad to hear things seem to be settling now

I'll see how I do on the milk front Will leave the milk well alone until I'm happy that I'm able to eat (other food!) normally again and that my digestive system seems more or less normal. I think I went too quickly last time - thought I was seeing *some* improvement (stuff was getting more solid in the mornings, basically, and everything else, gurgles and twinges, was calming down, I felt a bit more generally human!) and jumped on it enthusiastically, assuming that once it had started improving it would just magically continue regardless of what I did. Mistake!! I won't be devastated if I can't drink ordinary milk again, but I'm hoping that like you I'll be able to tolerate a little bit just so I don't have to 'that awkward person' if we go out to eat or whatever. If it turns out to be a bit longer-term I'll give the lacto-free stuff a try, but for the moment I don't really miss it (and am having cheese and yoghurt so hopefully doing OK on the calcium front for now at least) so I'm OK with just cutting it out.

I do hope everything else calms down again - I was so pleased when it seemed to be on the mend 2 weeks ago and then SO depressed when it all went wrong. I really don't think I did anything differently other than the milk, though, so I think, like I said, it just set me back a bit. Fingers crossed

Thanks again Daisy Sue - silly I know but your posts have really helped to calm me down a bit!

Not silly at all... really glad I could help

Last thing - honest - - the large Tescos sell lacto-free milk in tiny triangles, long life, so you can carry them in your handbag & don't have to feel awkward

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information