Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wearing off fast...

Re: Wearing off fast...

Wow, Pip, I never found that in my searches. Thanks, it's much appreciated.

It's more in plain English than the MIMS site I looked at.

Looks like abrupt cessation of duloxetine is a no-no. I went without one yesterday felt fine, took one today and anxiety sky high.

I'm sure the GP will want me to withdraw fully from duloxetine before swapping that to amitriptyline but I don't want to wait 4 weeks before starting the new regimen. The switch is complicated by the fact I'll be remaining on mirtazapine, so cross-tapering is out.

There's the possibility of going onto Prozac for a week instead of duloxetine as that tapers itself, but although my Doc is pretty understanding he's told me before he won't prescribe drugs to treat side effects of another drug, so I doubt he will for withdrawal symptoms either.

Even though I felt fine yesterday without the drug I know it's half-life and that would be the calm before the storm of withdrawal symptoms.

Si I'm going for 60 mg every other day till I see him, then 30mg for as long as he sees fit.

Thanks again for the info Pip.

Mark

Even though abrupt cessation is not advised I am trying it for one reason.

The drug switching chart shows that you can go straight from duloxetine to mirtazapine without tapering. Now, I'm already on mirtazapine so that might lessen any withdrawal effects.

Also I've found anecdotal evidence on the web and in this forum that high-dose EPA (in fish oil) can protect against the brain zaps.

I normally take cod liver oil daily but I've found one with more EPA and am taking plenty of that now.

I've had one duloxetine in 4 days, I missed out Saturday, took one Sunday, none yesterday or today. Plus I've taken leave from work for the rest of the week so I can stay in bed if it becomes necessary

I feel like I have a hangover, but otherwise not too bad. I stopped drinking 10 years ago because beer didn't agree with my medication, plus I wasn't much of a drinker anyway, so this feeling is not very welcome but it could be worse

I'll be seeing the Doc on Thursday and I'm hoping he'll be OK with my withdrawal strategy. That said if I feel really awful on any day I'll restart the drug and taper gradually but I'd like to get started on the new regime (mirt and amitriptyline ASAP).

Hope everyone who reads this is doing OK.

SarahH is offline Most Naughty-ish Member Ever

Hi Mark,

Hows it going with the withdrawal???

It took a while for me to find this thread as I dont know how to "follow" threads.

I am hoping you are feeling ok and by now you are on the new regime.

Best wishes

Sarah

I'm interested too Mark, I've followed your progress since your Pregabalin days!

I've recently started on a tricyclic too - Dosulepin and wondered how you were getting on with Amitriptyline.

Hope the change over is going well for you

Sam

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information