Thread: EMDR...a positive experience

SarahH is offline Most Naughty-ish Member Ever

EMDR...a positive experience

I want to share my experience of EMDR which I hope will help anyone on NMP now and in the future.

My story can be found on the thread "Pregabalin at last". I dont know how to post a link so perhaps a moderator can do that for me

I first can across EMDR 3 years ago when my NHS psychologist suggested it may be helpful for my PTSD which developed as a serving police officer in 2001. The first "trauma" in my life was as a 17yr old when I was a front seat passenger of a car crash which killed my 3 friends and another man in another car. This was in 1982 when counselling was unheard of. Years later as a police officer I witnessed some horrific scenes which triggered emotions long buried in my mind about the car crash as a 17yr old.

Fast forward to 2010 and I am offered EMDR. So as I normally do, I started reading up about how it works. I am the kind of person who needs to know about the psychology of treatment before I start it.

I was fascinated by how the mind works in suppressing emotions and how in our dreams we "process" daily things that have happened to us,passing those sometimes distressing thoughts into the part of our brains that "normalise" these occurrences. Kind of "defragmenting" of the brain like a computer.

So in 2010 I spent about 8 weeks having a session a week dealing with the various "traumaS" I had experienced in my life starting with the car crash, moving forward through the traumas as a police officer. It worked....I mean REALLY worked!!!!

Having retired from the Police shortly after this I decided to come off Citalopram as I felt so well. However, anxiety gripped me again leading to admission to a psych unit earlier this year. Of course the very sudden admission to hospital became a "trauma" in itself and my PTSD issues became about the fear of losing my mind and the fear of the "fear" itself. The vicious circle of anxiety. So I knew that I would have to deal with this new "trauma"!

Luckily the new psychologist was in fact my "old" psychologist who agreed straight away that EMDR would be a good thing to deal with the trauma of the admission and my fears of losing my mind, losing control etc (all the symptoms of acute anxiety).
    After 3 weeks of talking about the "triggers" and "The Fear" and learning to have a "safe place" we stared this week with EMDR "proper".
    It was a very exhausting and emotional 1 and a half hours...but incredible at the same time. I could feel my fear levels drop as we "processed" my thoughts from 10 /10 at the beginning to 2/10 at the end of the session!!!!!

I feel completely different already. My fear really has almost disappeared!!!
    The only reason I got stuck at 2/10 was my fear of the "unknown" and the fact that I was tired and could not continue. Next week we start to deal with the "unknown" fear.

I am frankly quite stunned at how brilliant EMDR has been for me.

If anyone is interested in this treatment please try and read up on how it works.

If you have managed to read all this then well done!

Thanks for reading

Sarah

SarahH is offline Most Naughty-ish Member Ever

Re: EMDR...a positive experience

Just want to update everyone or anyone who may be interested in my story.

I have had two EMDR sessions now both were incredible...emotional....but I just cannot believe the power of the mind and how it works. I use the headphones technique, bleeps going from one ear to the other. I think with EMDR you have to really trust the psychologist and go with it. I found my mind going off to the most vivid memories/thoughts. This last time I found myself looking at myself inside my car crash!!!!! It scared me at first but my psych just gently urged me to "go with the memory" and remember that I was in a safe place and that they were just memories now that needed "processing". It really is mind blowing stuff!!! The day after each session my anxiety is quite bad and I am exhausted but I just also try to remember that this is all for the better. In fact I have reduced my pregabalin to 300mgs I had a little withdrawal from it but nothing that 0.5 mgs of Lorazepam couldn't sort. I wanted to reduce the pregabalin because I wanted to see if I could get rid of the brain "fog" I kept getting...and I have. Dont get me wrong the anxiety is still there sometimes but I feel I am more in control of it which I am convinced is because of the EMDR which is helping me control my fear of not being in control. (does that make sense?) It's very strange because during the last session we were concentrating on my fear and half way through the session I was beginning to think it was'nt working when she asked when I last felt a particular feeling and BAM! my mind was suddenly at my car crash when I was 17 and I was watching myself frantically trying to undo my seatbelt, upside down in the car....something I have NEVER remembered in all these years....powerful stuff eh!

Hope this helps...thanks for reading

Sarah

Re: EMDR...a positive experience

Thank you for the post.

Thread Information