Thread: Do I have agoraphobia?

Do I have agoraphobia?

Hey guys... I have a question...
    I'm very afriad to leave my house during the day... I can almost always handle it if I'm leaving at night, though. But, during the day, I almost always have a panic attack if I leave. Would this be consistered agoraphobia?

Whitney

Hi there

It is a form or agoraphobia yes but it would be better to try and work out why you can't leave in the day.

What stops you?

People will forget what you said
    People will forget what you did
    But people will never forget how you made them feel

Nicola

It sounds like my 8 years of agoraphobia! I was always better during the night. I use to go for long walks, on good days (well nights). I spoke to the police quite often too. They'd say what are you doing out at this time, i'd say for a walk and after the first few times they got use to seeing me.
    But it also sounds like early stages, which gives you a GREAT opportunity to FACE THE FEAR and not let it get a grip. Avoidence is the problem. Every day do something anything that you don't want to. However mini. Top of the garden path, opening the front door and standing there.
    Also listern carefully to me. If you run away it is NEVER a set back or failure! What were you doing at the time, yes, facing your fear. I was sick in public, sweated through all my clothes like an athelete, had stabbing pains in my face and neck.
    You have a chance, many of us never had.. to listern to advice from someone who's been there and recovered BEFORE it starts. Never turn from facing your fear. Each time you do it gets harder. It ends in all the symptoms at full strength without even going out!
    Love to you today, and i'd love a p message to tell me that you've decided to Fight for VICTORY. I know you can do it and i'm here for encouragement and advice. Paul.

Love to all members

Hi Whitney,

This is how I first started, I always felt safer going out at night in the dark, then in the daytime. This has now taken a hold and I can hardly bare to leave the house at all, I can only just get the kids to and from school, 10 mins away, and hate travelling in the car with anybody other than the school run with the kids.

In the early days, I now call them the good old days! when we had holidays!! I can remember suggesting coming home the night before always, rather then the next morning.

My main fear is that I will be sick whilst out, and if its dark nobody can see can they.

Try and be strong and face this before it takes a hold like it has to me.
    Good Luck and if you need a chat pm me..

Take Care

Lisax

I managed to go into town with my son this morning it was quite busy. I felt spaced out with the meds i've just started taking and I didn't feel at all with it, like I wasn't really in my own body. We had to go into Wilkinson's and there was a big queue at the checkout which made me feel very anxious and I just had to get out of the shop. Now i'm back home although i'm still feeling spaced out i'm much more relaxed and I feel real again.

Thread Information