Thread: Blood Tests - GP

Blood Tests - GP

Although I am generally feeling better and not so anxious with regards to my health there is always that niggle that something might be wrong.

Is it simple to make a docs appointment with my GP to request a blood test based on my anxieties. For example, I would mention that I have anxiety with regards to my lymphatic system, liver, bowels.. and ask if it were possible to have blood tests to just check all is okay?

I am considering it as a fix to 'kill off' the final amount of anxiety still within me.

Could I even just disregard the docs appt and just book a blood test??

Re: Blood Tests - GP

You can't book blood tests unless a doctor has asked for them.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

my doctor won't test me unless she feels I have real symptoms that she thinks need investigating. Obviously this is partly due to resources but also she is aware of the severity of my HA and won't do anything that enters into a cycle of reassurance seeking. I can't tell you the number of tests I've asked for that have been turned down!

Really?? That's a shame really. Little reassurances like this would help a great deal.

I know- it's easy to think that but actually for me, I either don't believe it or only believe it for a while until my next HA attack and then it all starts again. In my case that is what my GP is guarding against but then she has been managing my HA for a couple of years now so she is very cautious.

If your situation isn't the same and you feel you have symptoms, you may have more luck with your GP but I wouldn't count on it unfortunately.

As Nic has rightly said, the tests would have to be ordered by your doctor and it would be up to their discretion.

It is, I feel, worth you making an appointment with your doctor and telling them of your anxieties and that you would like to have these tests, but it would be entirely up to your doctor what they want to do.

The problem is that now, GP's have to control their own finances and running of the surgery, prescriptions and everything else, so they obviously have to have some sort of budget, so it will probably be down to whether your GP thinks it would be of real benefit for you or not. But it's worth having a chat with them anyway

Thread Information