Thread: Lofepramine / Gamanil diary. Anyone else had experience of this?

Lofepramine / Gamanil diary. Anyone else had experience of this?

So my doctor has given me Lofepramine 70mg tablets to take 1 three times per day. - I've been having a lot of agitation, racing thoughts, restlessness and so on. I recently tried Citalopram for about 6 weeks and that just made the situation much worse. I've tried other medications without success in the past.

Lofepramine are an older style of anti-depressant that are not used as often as newer medications, so it is quite difficult finding any experiences or feedback on them really. So I wanted to ask here for any feedback as well as create my own diary/experience log for others.

I googled Lofepramine and wikipedia states: "It has fewer sedative properties than many of the products used to treat depressive illnesses and is suited to patients whose symptoms tend towards withdrawal and apathy, rather than restlessness and agitation."

So I'm a little confused as to why I've been prescribed this particular med, as my current symptoms are definitely on the agitation side of things.

Day 1 & 2: Not a lot to report apart from a warm 'feel good' feeling which I suspect was simply placebo effect and the relief of getting off the citalopram.

Day 3: now and no difference or dramatic side effects so far. I was very wound up last night and felt really restless and unable to relax. I've also noticed very vivid dreams so far.

Re: Lofepramine / Gamanil diary. Anyone else had experience of this?

Wow! Lofepramine! that takes me back a bit........well, right back to 1984 as that was what I was taking when I had post natal depression.

I found it to be very helpful and the only side effects that I had were dry mouth and some weird and wonderful dreams!!!

But, to be honest, I think nearly all of the antidepressants can make you have strange dreams, as can depression and anxiety themselves, so it's pretty hard to work out what's what really.

I'd give the Lofepramine a good try and see how you get on and remember that most side effects do disappear as you continue your treatment, the only one that I was left with was the dry mouth.

Let us know how you get on please

Quote Originally Posted by AuntieMoosie View Post
    Wow! Lofepramine! that takes me back a bit........well, right back to 1984 as that was what I was taking when I had post natal depression.

I found it to be very helpful and the only side effects that I had were dry mouth and some weird and wonderful dreams!!!
    Well I guess the medication is older than me then!

Day 4: Been slightly 'up and down' today but doing OK I guess. I just wish I felt a bit better/happier and less agitated but I guess only time will tell.

I'm trying to be patient..... I have read that these older medications can sometimes work a bit faster than the newer SSRIs so I'm hoping I will see some improvement sooner rather than later.

No side effects of any significance really. Dry mouth and slightly increased thirst is about it.

Well I thought I would do a little update this is Day 14:

Side effects so far are quite bad constipation. I'm using Fybogel, Senna tables, drinking lots of water and eating a decent diet and still going to the toilet is difficult. As a result I feel bloated and lethargic.

Despite the fact lofepramine is a tricyclic (which are often sedating) and was given to me to help with agitation as the main symptom, they do not appear to help sleep or have any sedative/anti-anxiety effects (yet?).

Actually I am sleeping poorly on these - they make me feel dreamy rather than sleepy and I've been having very vivid dreams/nightmares and waking up multiple times a night.

About 1.5 - 2hrs after taking a pill I feel very spaced out, emotional and strange.

I'm struggling to stay compliant with these as they really aren't helping at all. I've previously used amitriptyline at lowish dose for pain/sleep aid but when I asked for those again my doctor said no, the lofepramine is 'better' with 'less side effects'. So far the exact opposite is true - more side effects and no help with the main symptoms I'm trying to tackle.

I don't want to discourage anyone from trying this medication as we are all different. The side effects are unpleasant but not unbearable.

I know nobody is really interested but I thought I would update/conclude this thread for anyone out there who happens to be searching for info on this particular drug.

Basically I gave it about 5 weeks on lofepramine with no real improvement. Main side effects were bad constipation, poor sleep and vivid dreams. Feeling spaced out and weird. Plus sexual side effects that would not be acceptable in the long run.

I'm now going back on to Amitriptyline.

My advice to anyone out there prescribed this med would be to give it a go and see how you feel. The side effects weren't terrible (I found citalopram far worse) but for me it was clear this is the wrong medication.

Oh I'm sorry that the Lofepramine didn't work out for you in the end hun. I guess I was one of the lucky ones on that front.

Thank you for updating your thread and letting us know how you're doing, do please keep letting us know, I'm interested, just must have missed your updates hun

your information is very much welcomed as due to start this tablet tonight. I was on it years ago and it seemed to work for me, but time will tell

Red face Re: Lofepramine / Gamanil diary. Anyone else had experience of this?

Been on this for quite a while now, after four years of trying other medications, none of which worked. All of which had side effects I was unable to tolerate.

Loferpramine has helped my depression to a small degree although I too have suffered constipation which does eventually wear off, weird dreams and disturbed sleep. I can tolerate this for the small amount of improvement in my mood.

I am about to increase my dosage from 3 x 70mg to 4 x 70mg as my mood had dipped and I crying far too often, I just hope I can tolerate this increase - wish me luck.

Thread Information