Thread: Serious anxiety caused by health ancient HELP,

Serious anxiety caused by health ancient HELP,

Hi everyone. Please help someone. I am in a very black place at the moment with serious hypochondria as had tummy issues which my gp says is more than likely associated with months of anxiety not eating etc. she has prescribed sertaline 50mg and i am terrified to take them as more anxiety i cannot deal with which apparently is what happens. Just to add to my woes I was made redundant 6 weeks ago and it's knocked me sideways. I have found another job and at 60 that is not easy but I hate it as my head is all over the place and although people are nice all I think about is my aches and worries and want to curl up and forget everything. I am not doing well getting my head around 60 either! I hate taking pills and now I don't know what to do. Why cannot I accept myself. I hate being like this soooo much. Forgive me if posted this in wrong thread and Sorry for rambling and thanks for listening x

Re: Serious anxiety caused by health ancient HELP,

Quote Originally Posted by rosietj View Post
    Hi everyone. Please help someone. I am in a very black place at the moment with serious hypochondria as had tummy issues which my gp says is more than likely associated with months of anxiety not eating etc. she has prescribed sertaline 50mg and i am terrified to take them as more anxiety i cannot deal with which apparently is what happens. Just to add to my woes I was made redundant 6 weeks ago and it's knocked me sideways. I have found another job and at 60 that is not easy but I hate it as my head is all over the place and although people are nice all I think about is my aches and worries and want to curl up and forget everything. I am not doing well getting my head around 60 either! I hate taking pills and now I don't know what to do. Why cannot I accept myself. I hate being like this soooo much. Forgive me if posted this in wrong thread and Sorry for rambling and thanks for listening x
    Hi, Sorry to here of the difficulties you're going through at the moment. We're here for you, rest assured

I can definitely relate tob the hypochondriathat you're experiencing. I'm the type who gets a headache and assumes that it's a brain tumor. Sounds stupid i know, but it's JUST anxiety. Remember anxiety is emphasising your sensations 10 times and it will make you foucus and over analyse your pain, as mild as it might be or as strong as it might be. But my advice is this: listen to your Doc. You say you haven't been eating. Well this definitely explains the tummy aches. I'm sure that if the Doc thought it was something more serious then he/she would have run some comprehensive tests to find out for sure

As with the Sertraline, don't listen to others. Remember everyone reacts differently to meds and this might, and probably will do something for your anxiety issue, so it's definitely worth trying, but give it a month at least. You experience sides, just come off. Easy as that. I'd reccommend Lyrica if the Sertraline doesnt work. Many peope find it a God send!

The job thing: I can relate to you there. My head is always all over the place, dominated by racing thoughts of how i feel and how people are percieving me. Again, it's the anxiety. The meds should help with the rcing mind, a VERY common symptom of anxiety.

So remember you're not alone as i for one can relate to most of what youre going through.

Stay strong

Cmack

Thanks csmack. God what a crazy way to live! I am reading and listening to Dr Claire Weekes' books and cd. She talks so much sense and the effects of adrenalin feeding anxiety and fear. All makes sense but god the physical symptoms when they hit (usually early hours and first thing in the morning) just are truly awful and I sometimes feel suicidal and see no hope. That is stupid as my sensible side says its mind games gone mad and anxiety taking over. Lots of horrible symptoms today although had a not too bad day yesterday. Hate this so much.

I am very blessed in many ways and going to see my daughter and granddaughter for Christmas in Australia. Now you think I would be jumping for joy but NO blasted HA and GAD just taking me over and this seems to be a lot of what is behind my chronic state now. What sane person would not be counting down the days. Not me which I feel ashamed of myself and full of guilt as I love them so very much and what to be there more than anything and to actually look forward to it.

Thank you for you support on the meds. I took 25mg of sertaline today and did not like it. I hate pills although i know we are all different. I did feel funny and only a small dose. Many I think have overcome this without meds although its very hard but it's very hard anyway. Round and round gods the head.
    There must be a light somewhere.

Bless you for making me feel not alone. Xx

It is very common to feel that way when first starting meds - sometimes you can get worse before you get better. The side effects will settle after a few days, but it may be a few weeks before you feel the full benefit. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Thread Information