Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Propranolol for test anxiety?

Propranolol for test anxiety?

I suffer from test anxiety and i have an important exam coming up.I haven't used any kind of beta blockers before.I'm thinking about taking 20 or 40 mg propranolol 1 hour before the exam.What is the best dosage for test anxiety?

Have any of you tried prapronolol for test anxiety?

Any advice would be helpful.

Re: Propranolol for test anxiety?

Hello,

I take propranolol when I need it and it works really well for the physical symptoms of anxiety, the ones you also get before an exam. It's approved for performance anxiety and I think the recommended dose is 40mg before the anticipated anxious event but I manage with 20mg as I always take the lowest effective dose of medication like this.

One thing I'd say is that it can cause tiredness and if you take it for the first time before an exam and it affects you like that, it may be counterproductive. Discuss this with your GP and I'd recommend trying a lower dose a few days before.

Pip

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Is 20 mg as effective as 40 mg ? I'm afraid of tiredness,but i will try it before the exam day.

Can propranolol cause cognitive dysfunction?

I've never taken 40mg at once so I can't say if it's as effective at 20mg. I've not noticed any cognitive changes - have a look at the info in the box and see what the side effects can be. I think it's unlikely except for the tiredness which could obviously affect your performance in the exam.

A trial run first is a good idea.

Pip

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I don't know if it was just based on me, but my doctor told me that anything below 40mg is pointless. As I say though it may be based on me (I was having panic attacks at the time).

Quote Originally Posted by KeeKee View Post
    I don't know if it was just based on me, but my doctor told me that anything below 40mg is pointless. As I say though it may be based on me (I was having panic attacks at the time).
    Well 20mg (and sometimes just 10) works well for me.

Pip

I am going to take 20 mg proranolol tomorrow before a test to see if it will ease the test anxiety.I don't know either it will be a placebo effect or not.I will keep this topic updated so these posts could help people who is suffering from test anxiety like me.

I took 20 mg and i wasn't anxious at all.So it worked but i had chest pain for 6 hours.

Edit:I had tachycardia after propranolol use.But tachycardia was just because of stress.Now my heart rate is back to normal.
    I thought i had tachycardia all along in the first place.I was wrong.Also hormon panel was normal so there is nothing that could have caused tachycardia but stress.
    Last edited by Mert758; 15-11-13 at 15:16.

Hi,
    I've a question to Mert758,
    about the sinus tachycardia you said you had, you had it all along but you didn't had palpitations, only chest pain?
    isn't sinus tachycardia secondary to stress?

Yes,it was just stress that caused sinus tachycardia
    Anyway,i have decided to take 30 mg propranolol 1 hour before the exam.The exam is on 23 March..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information