Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cat trouble

Cat trouble

I having a few problems with my older cat at the moment. She sleeps on my bed and the wakes me between 3am - 4am to go out. She could go into the kitchen except that my younger cat is in there and they dislike each other. They can't go in the living room as it is newly decorated and I'm worried that the older cat will make a mess if left in the hall. I thought about a trial with them both allowed in the kitchen and hall. The older cat will probably miaow anyway. Both have been in the cattery and we are just getting over that with the older cat more clingy and the younger cat with an upset tummy. Older cat has also had an accident which is probably a result of being in the cattery.EJ

Re: Cat trouble

My older cat (18) has begun waking me at 4, 5 and 6 every morning - I am exhausted! She has become pretty deaf and I think she can only hear herself yow if it is loud.

Often she just wants comfort and snugs. They do apparently get a form of dementia sometimes. She is content in the day and wanders around at night - she's also begun going out and fighting other cats after not doing this for a few years!

Could you put her in the kitchen and move the younger cat?

Does she want the toilet, or does she just want to go out and play? Does she have a litter tray indoors, somewhere she can get to without encountering the other cat? When you say older, do you mean she is elderly, or just older than the other one?

They can get dementia, but are normally settled with a cuddle and reassurance in this case. Sounds like that may be the issue with your cat, Speranza, but EJ, if she wants to gobout it doesn't sound like dementia.

Our cat sleeps in a downstairs room with the door locked (he has a cat loo in there), otherwise he'd prowl & meow all night & we'd never get any sleep.

Apparently, once they're through kittenhood, they only meow for human attention, so if you ignore it (unless you think they're poorly/hungry/thirsty) then they do learn not to meow all the time.

There are things you can buy to calm their mood too.. like catnip sprays and plug-in things.

I would say that if your two cats don't get on, then probably keeping their sleeping arrangements separate is a good idea.

If it was me, I think I would switch them around and have the older cat in the kitchen - everyone deserves a bit of sleep. Animals can be very controlling, I am speaking from personal experience.x

BobbyDog

Thank you for your replies. Phoebe is eight and Bertie is ten months. Phoebe is a one person cat - me and since we had Bertie has been sleeping on my bed. Phoebe will mew if she is left out at night. Not sure about having two litter trays. I will let you know how I get on. EJ

I heard that if you have two cats it can be a territory issue and two trays some way apart really helps. Wish I had known that when I had Sophie's sister!

Oh, my brothers cat is really old and it's doing this miaowing really loud thing as well. I wish there was a simple answer EJ, I really do. Swapping them around sounds like a good idea but then phoebe won't get the attention she obviously wants.
    It's difficult when you introduce a new cat to the household but maybe thins will calm down. It probably is down to territory.
    Our cat (2years) wakes us at about 4 or 5 & then proceeds to play.... Or scratch things she KNOWS mustn't be scratched. She is a minx!!!! We are putting her out now if she plays up... That seems to be working as her behaviour is improving,
    Speranza... that wouldn't work for your kitty if she has dementia. Poor baby. I had a cat that went deaf. It was only when she ignored fireworks that I realised. It was sad to think she wouldn't hear my voice again.
    Oh I don't know,,,,,, pets can be hard work but are so rewarding all the same.
    Oh feliway plug ins have worked wonders with cats we have had. I wild recommend them even tho they aren't cheap

Yeah, two trays can often resolve things. Not really what you want, but might be worthwhile.

I had an old cat who went deaf, and I too noticed when he didn't react to fireworks. He was a real nervous old boy and really lost his fear when he went deaf. He could still enjoy cuddles and lived a very happy few years. Unlike most deaf cats, he fell silent after going deaf. But he definitely knew he was loved.

Aw, I love cats. We have 3 although the 2 females play fight quite a bit (They are mother and daughter, 2 years old and 10 months old).
    They all share 1 litter tray so by the sounds of it we are in for trouble in the future (I have heard you should have 1 tray per cat, plus 1 -- So 4 trays in total in my small house haha, not likely).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information