Page 3 of 54 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Tufty's diary

Re: Stopping Fluoxetine after 9 years

sam you seem to be handling this very well, well done keep posting xx

Was 5mg of prozac a day not working for you then? I seem to be managing fairly ok on a lose dose, though with one main issue - my libido is still screwed (pun not intended). I've considered coming off it, though I'm scared that I'll relapse.

Are you taking any fish oil/magnesium/b-vits/zinc etc just out of interest?

Thank you Brenda, I'm starting to relax and believe that I can manage the panic without medication but early days still.

Hi Emphyrio, I don't know if the 5mg was having any positive effect but was getting side effects that have gone now I've stopped - though I'm still waiting for my libido to return too. I have taken low dose Fluox for so long I don't understand why I should start getting worse side effects more recently but after trying to adjust the dose for the last 8 months I thought it would be better to come off and try something different.

I take Omega 3 oils, Magnesium and multi vit - I recently tried Busy Bees - the high dose vit b complex from Holland and Barrett but I got shaky and panicky after taking - that was 11 days ago, so just before stopping the Fluox - so it may just be coincidence but I've read somewhere -I may look into it again that Vit C makes you metabolise Fluoxetine quicker than normal and it was advised to take it help you clear it from your body if stopping. I haven't taken it since, I may leave it a week or so then try again.

I worry about relapse but to be honest Diazepam has been much more useful than Fluox, I can go weeks or months withour taking any Diazepam, so I don't worry about addiction. I guess it depends on the type of anxiety, I don't have health anxiety, agrophobia or fear of anything in particular - just a fear of how I feel, so I can lead a normal life until the panic flashes - I can not normally find a cause or reason but when it occurs a couple of Diazepam, a good nights sleep and I soon get back on my feet again.

Oh and I forgot to add, today that I had a coffee , I love coffee but in the past 8 months I've had maybe 2 cups when its been made for me, anyway no palpitations, no sweating, no shaking or muscle twitching

sam.. I to take omega 3, multi vits because my b12 was low and with not eating well and magnesium, my partner is a fitness freak!! and takes lots of vits and minerals etc so he got me onto them. It's funny that cause since Iv'e had this last relapse I to have not been able to stomach or try having a coffee it doesn't appeal to me, and I used to always have 2 in the morning to set me up and enjoyed them, I now drink nettle and peppermint or camomile and honey.

I used to love coffee too, I now drink camomile, honey and vanilla or fruit tea. I do miss my coffee now though and am hoping I can start to enjoy one cup a day.

I keep my caffeine intake down, though in recent months my intrusive thoughts and agitation levels have decreased and so I can generally take a coffee without feeling agitated - the only thing is is that it seems to affect my IBS a little, though its considerably better than it has been before. Valerian tea is nice as a more calming alternative to chamomile - though you can either love or loathe the taste!

Did you decide to take the escitalopram then samhar? I am definitely tempted to try coming off fluox completely again - I am taking fish oil, magnesium and b-vits each day (which I never did before) and have cut back on the alcohol. Its interesting how I have reacted to coming off different meds - fluoxetine I generally felt low a couple of months after stopping, but coming off two other SSRIs with shorter half lives seemed to trigged extreme agitation a couple of months after stopping - protracted withdrawal symptoms, I don't know...

Did you consider any herbal remedies?

I'm still holding off taking the Escitalopram - I've got the prescription but am interested to see how I am without medication. Diazepam is the drawer just in case and I'm not worried if I have to start Escitalopram I feel optomistic about it. I am expecting a dip in mood in a couple of weeks time, I don't know how I'll cope with it but hopefully by being prepared I'll face it better but who knows.
    I was eating rubbish before I got ill this year - lots of carbs, coffee and stressed so I would imagine I'm nutrtionally depleted.
    This year I've tried acupuncture, massage, yoga, relaxation, CBT and Propanolol. Previously I've tried herbalism, homeopathy, shiatsu and read lots of self help books. I believe self help is vital to recovery but sometimes it's believing that something will help, the placebo affect, that gives you hope and helps you face the anxiety, I think that's the same with some of the medication prescribed too, although not all.
    I haven't tried herbal stuff for many years - are you?

Day 10 since stopping Prozac, still not taking the Escitalopram. Feeling 7/10
    Sleeping well, eating well, motivated and feeling pretty good.
    I have got a mouth ulcer and my spots are worse which is always a sign that I'm run down and if I don't look after myself panic can ensue. So I've got a quiet day planned for tomorrow in the hope that I can recharge, I had forgotton to take my multi vits and supplements the past couple of days so maybe that's a contributing factor.
    My tongue is still fizzing too, not helped by the mouth ulcer, it does seem worse after eating white bread and biscuits so I'm going to give them both up for a week and see if it makes a difference.
    I'm not feeling depressed or low and my anxiety level is fairly low, still a bit jittery at times and over thinking and analysing but generally
    Sam

I tried Valerian which seemed to calm me down somewhat when I was experiencing bad prozac side effects (though I've heard from some people that taking it at the same time isn't a great idea).

I've made the decision to come off my 5mg prozac a day as I'm really concerned about the fact that I'm still experiencing quite bad sexual dysfunction on it. I'm also taking zinc, b vits, magnesium and fish oil and have done for around 2 months, so I guess I'm hoping that I've put in place the first steps to become med free. The last thing I want to do though is get back on the meds merry go round and experience a whole load of new side effects...

Has your libido improved since you stopped prozac?

Umm - not yet no, I've got a little more feeling down there but no desire yet! But I have been on Prozac for so long I know it's not going to come back overnight.
    I tried Valerian tea, tasted foul and didn't seem to do much, luckily I sleep fairly well anyway most of the time. When are you going to stop the Prozac and how long have you been on it?

Page 3 of 54 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread Information