Thread: 1st time post - looking for help please, going mad

1st time post - looking for help please, going mad

Hi everyone,
    I've been reading this forum for awhile now and it has been a great help but I think now is the time to post and ask for some help,

I have been suffering with a bloated stomach for 3 and a half years now and never done anything about it other than try ani-bloating tablets which have not worked. I finally lost patience about a month ago and went to the doctors certain I had ibs. The doctor felt my stomach and all was ok but insisted I had a scan which I am due to have next monday. Ever since the appointment I have been experiencing the following,
    Pains in my stomach, not severe but noticeable uncomfortable stabbing pains (may last a whole week, dissapear for a week then come back)
    Sometimes its a stabbing pain, sometimes its a hot feeling in my stomach and sometimes my stomach just feels heavy.
    Heart palpertations
    Hot sweats
    Loose stools (no blood)
    Visible pulsing stomach
    Nausea (from time to time)
    Undigested food in stools
    Rumbling noises in stomach
    Continuous bloating after meals
    Wind

I am prone to bouts of anxiety and my wife thinks that all the above issues have been brought on through constant worry about the scan. I do think about my stomach every minute of every day and is the 1st thing I think of in the morning and the last think I think about at night, its always on my mind.

This is now driving me mad and am so scared I have serious illness, can anyone help please as i am really down at the moment and cannot see a future for me.
    I've convinced myself I have cancer.
    Last edited by chris72; 27-08-13 at 18:59.

Re: 1st time post - looking for help please, going mad

Hi Chris, I have irritable bowel that is certainly set off each time by strees, too much rushing and anxiety. Your symptoms sound typical. I too wnet to doctors as I thought I must have stomach or bowel cancer. Stomach ache, heavy feeling in my guts, sweating, pain, feeling full all the time, bloat etc. one doctor said she could feel a hernia (as gut was so hard and twisted) and booked me in for a scan. I had to phone the hospital to get this hurried up as by then I couldnt eat. It turned out to be irritable bowel. I have been on seroxat for ages and dont get it while on this medication, however, I have been withdrawing (another story!) and it has come back with a vengence. Have been going to work on my bike to try to increase endorphin levels but felt couldnt do it today as guts so heavy and painful, however I made myself and it actually helped alot and I feel less bloated now at work. Good luck and try not to worry (yes I know!). Hope that helps a bit, Sarah.

Many thanks for the reply sarah which has made me feel a little better. One thing I do worry about is that I thought ibs usually comes and goes, however I have this constantly and it never seems to go away. I must admit that the pains do come and go and are never severe just there. I have not had any pains for the last couple of weeks and have felt a little more relaxed and happier but the issue I have is I cannot work out whether I am feeling ok because I have no pains or whether I have no pains because I am feeling better? Its driving me crazy.

As another IBS person, I suspect your pains have subsided because you are feeling more relaxed. How much IBS I may have is very much linked to how anxious I am.

Recently, I have been having acupuncture for anxiety, IBS and sinus problems - thus far the IBS has very nearly disappeared so I am delighted!
    Glad you too are feeling some relief.

Unhappy Re: 1st time post - looking for help please, going mad

Scan today, worried sick.

Let us know how it went.

Hope it went ok chris x

Hi all,
    Many thanks for all your replies.
    Had my scan at 3.15pm today and received the all clear, everything perfectly normal

Now need to make an appointment to see my doctor to discuss the next step. What a relief.

Thread Information