Thread: Rabies & raccoon scratch

Rabies & raccoon scratch

So last night we forgot to close the glass door and the raccoons managed to open the screen door and get inside. I came upstairs when I heard a noise and managed to scare two of them outside... I was watching them run away when one came from behind me and squeezed out the door next to my leg. Its claws came into contact with my foot and I got four little red scratches which were gone in the morning (this morning); they were very superficial and didn't bleed.

I've been googling and have read conflicting things... some websites (including my province's) say that a scratch alone doesn't constitute enough reason to get a vaccine, unless you have some reason to believe that there was fresh saliva on their claws or if they licked your wound.

Other websites (including the World Health Organization) say that ANY abrasion or scratch EVEN if it doesn't bleed should be treated with a vaccine, because animals like raccoons will often lick their paws.

Apparently raccoon rabies (one particular strain, the main one that raccoons carry, though they can carry others) has been eradicated in my province, but they are still considered "high risk" animals according to local Animal Control.

I called the TeleHealth number in my province to speak to a Registered Nurse and she told me that according to whatever her guidelines are, it should be fine and I don't need a vaccine.

I don't know who to believe :( and I haven't been able to think about anything else all day.

Re: Rabies & raccoon scratch

Just be aware if anything changes. Since the animal didn't break the skin, it's very highly unlikely you've been exposed to anything.

PS... lock the cat door!
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 02-09-13 at 01:52. Reason: Added a PS
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

As the registered nurse said, you should be fine, especially given that you are in an area where strains have been eradicated AND the scratch didn't break your skin. If you are still concerned though, there's no harm in going to check in with a doctor for some peace of mind. They'll be able to tell you whether you need the vaccination or not.

This is a difficult one.

The nurse wouldn't tell you it was fine if she had any doubt but you are obviously still worried.

I would speak to your doctor and if you think this is something that is going to play on your mind then I would ask for the vaccine.

It doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about but if you don't feel satisfied and are still worrying then it's probably best to have the vaccine so you can just forget about it altogether.

Take care

I've decided to talk to my doctor. I know I'm being totally irrational but I just can't shake it and I need to hear it from her that I shouldn't be concerned. My hypochondria has been so much better these last few years and then recently I've been under more stress and it seems to be flaring up again. Might end up increasing my Lexapro dosage...

Have an appointment for tomorrow morning.

Let us know how it goes.

Thread Information