Thread: Went for an ultrasound

Went for an ultrasound

Well, this morning I hit new depths of anxiety regarding the fact that I had convinced myself that the kidney cancer my father had in his late thirties was inevitably inherited and growing inside me, naturally I developed a whole host of aches and pains to accompany this thought.

Well this morning, much to my wife's disapproval (feeding anxiety and all that) I booked an upper abdominal ultrasound - I was quite scared. Anyway the tall and the short of it is that there is no problem with my kidneys at all, or in fact my spleen, pancreas or aortic valve (although she had trouble finding my pancreas and had to use some force some pressure so am aching now . The only thing she picked up was evidence of fat infiltration of my liver. Initially my anxiety kicked in and she pretty much said it wasn't too much to worry about and could largely be resolved by living a healthier lifestyle. (I could do with losing a couple of stone and exercising more if I am honest.

Does that sound about right? Sounds like something to keep a watching brief on? I have a drs appointment on Friday to discuss my anxiety and she suggested getting them to check cholesterol as I have a strong family history of heart disease.

So I am determined to strike off Dr Google and allow the drs to diagnose me in future and stick to what I am good at (ironically a commissioner in the NHS!)

Re: Went for an ultrasound

I am pleased you have had the ultrasound and can now be reassured by it. Good that you are thinking positive about a healthier lifestyle. You do right to stay away from Dr Google and let the real doctors diagnose you

Sounds like you received good advice at the ultrasound , I paid for a private ultrasound, against my GP's advice last year due to pancreatic/liver cancer fears . I refused to believe what my GP was telling me and instead entered a period of one test after another and the increase in anxiety that this caused. I was diagnosed with a lump on my liver which was a benign collection of blood vessels but of course I was convinced it was a tumour that had spread from my bowel and had months of anxiety over it. I suppose you can be reassured that you have had a scan and that all looks well, but I know that listening to your GP is definitely a good idea, I am now trying to avoid tests unless they think they are necessary as I know only too well, with health anxiety you get a fleeting moment of reassurance and then it's onto the next worry.
    Glad it went ok for you and the healthy living advice sounds like a great idea (will have to try it myself )

Really glad to see you taking steps to address your anxiety! You can and will do it!

Positive thoughts and prayers
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thread Information