Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help reaction to seroxat or is it me

Help reaction to seroxat or is it me

Hi,
    Just wondering if someone can help. I suffer from anxiety, panic attacks and depression. Started taking seroxat 3 days ago, have had it years ago but can't remember feeling like this. VERY agitated, cant sit still, but can't do anything, feels like electricity running through my brain, can't stand noise, feel sick and dizzy, have cut the tabs down today from 20mg to 10mg but still feel like this, is this the meds or is it me heading for a complete breakdown. Can any one help?

JANE

Thanks Lucy,
    Its nice to hear that I am not going completely mad and it might just be the meds.

JANE

Sounds to me like it could be the meds as well. I started on Seroxat but had to give them up, because I had similar symptoms to yours. Also it felt like my whole body was on fire.
    A brisk walk would usually calm it down for a while.

"You can't yell loud enough to make me shut up."

Hi Jane

I was given seroxat and ended up in A & E. Almost passed out, heart beat was 120 plus, sweating etc. That happened from almost the first tablet. Now on Prozac which still gave me side effects but better than seroxat and now they've kicked in I'm OK.

Kay

Hi Jane

I'm on seroxat too and I'm always interested to read posts about it. There are so many scare stories, and reading the side effects in the leaflet you get with tablets is a bad idea!

I did feel worse for the first few days, dizzy and strange. But thats because our brains aren't working like they should and need some help. So the tablets will affect our heads until we get used to them. Try to stick with the dose, its your body adjusting. If you don't feel better in a few days contact your doctor again. There are many different options, there may be something which suits you better if this does not.

Lisa.

Thanks for your replies I'll stick with it and see if I feel better in a few days.
    Jane

JANE

Hi Jane, I like yourself have been on Seroxat. The first week was awful and almost stopped taking them on day 4 until the doctors told me it was normal and to stick with them. I am glad I did. Once the side effects cleared I felt great on them. The 20mg was just too strong and made me feel really tired, so I was advised to snap them in half to 10mg, as they don't actually make a 10mg dose. This dose was much better and made me feel loads better. After 4 months I felt great, so decided to come off them. Wish I hadn't, now I have started to feel bad again and am considering returning back to the doctors for another course.

Just stick with them, I am sure you will see a great result.

I have already made a comment somewhere else on here about meds! I had a bad reaction to soroxat after 2 days and stopped them. Do we really need to be medicated in order to overcome our issues? Doesn't this just cause a crutch for us to lean on. and on? I think it's wrong that we live in an over prescribed nation. shouldn't the focus be on getting to the route cause instead of potentially giving vulnerable people another issue to worry about - addiction. Aren't we more vulnerable to becoming reliant on these drugs - especially when so many of us already have such a small amount of self belief.
    I want to work through this wihtout meds - is that possible?

freeyourspirit

Sometimes we can do this without meds. But other times we need some help. Its like other illnesses. We wouldn't mind taking medication if it was any other illness and could help us on the way to recovery.

There is also work to do ourselves in taking good care of ourselves, but sometimes meds can help us start our journey to better health. If you broke your leg you wouldn't mind having a plaster cast and crutch, then doing exercises for strength. Its like what I'm doing now... meds to help me, and exercises to help me regain mental strength! To learn with those baby steps that I CAN do things...

I'm sticking with my seroxat for now. Fingers crossed. [8D]

Lisa.

Hey Lisa!
    I think its good that you have found a route that works for you and I totally get your analorgy of the broken leg senario.
    I guess I am someone who attempts to live life without the aid of traditional medicine and focus on natural remedies and things that I can do to ease whatever sypmtoms I am experiencing. The thing with the meds that we get prescribed is that intially some of them can be detrimental to us and actually worsen your attacks, symptoms. Or they can cause other issues such as withdrawal and medical and psychological addiction. I guess if I broke me leg and the doc said;look you can have your leg in a cast but it will intially cause you more pain, also the particular cast that we use may not be suitable, and furthermore, when it comes to taking the cast off you may not be able to walk unaided for a long time or even feel that your leg has mended. Its all down to the individaul - meds are prescribed willy nilly that is my concern and frustration.....I don't want to feel that just because I am not taking meds means that my recovery will be hindered. If what I am experiencing is psychological than surely common sense strategies and understanding is all part of my success?
    Thanks for your comment it is good to thrash these concerns around Good luck on your journey
    <b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Sometimes we can do this without meds. But other times we need some help. Its like other illnesses. We wouldn't mind taking medication if it was any other illness and could help us on the way to recovery.

There is also work to do ourselves in taking good care of ourselves, but sometimes meds can help us start our journey to better health. If you broke your leg you wouldn't mind having a plaster cast and crutch, then doing exercises for strength. Its like what I'm doing now... meds to help me, and exercises to help me regain mental strength! To learn with those baby steps that I CAN do things...

I'm sticking with my seroxat for now. Fingers crossed. [8D]

Lisa.

<div align="right">Originally posted by Insomniac - 26 October 2006 : 17:13:18</div id="right">
    </td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
    freeyourspirit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information