Thread: First time Diazepam fears. Questions.

First time Diazepam fears. Questions.

Hi there,

I've been given diazepam to help me with my fear of panicking on a plane flight I am due to take in a few weeks.

I generally don't need medication day-to-day anymore but I am freaking out about this flight (I have a real rear of inescapable situations) so my docs prescribed me 5mg of Diazepam for the flights.

I am planning on taking one tonight/tomorrow to see how I feel and make sure I don't have any side effects but I'm really nervous, reading the sheet that comes with it has freaked me out, it lists so many side effects (including anxiety?!).

It even says "don't take if you're pregnant, heart issues etc... and suffer from anxiety/depression" doesn't that defy the whole point?

Also is 5mg a lot? Browsing these forums it seems most people get 2mg? I don't want to me zonked out.

Any advice or reassurement would be amazing

Re: First time Diazepam fears. Questions.

Just take it. Seriously, if you are panicky then taking your first diazepam is great. It will calm you down so much. I don't think you should practice with one when you aren't feeling anxious, wait until you need it. If you are calm when you take it, then it probably will just make you sleepy. If you take it when you're panicking then all it will do it calm you down.
    I would live on them for my anxiety if I could but doctor won't give me anymore :(

I agree with hanging basket. Diazepam is used to help people sleep so when you're not anxious all it does it induce sleep/drowsiness with a 5mg dose.
    Wait til the flight - knowing you have it may mean you don't end up taking it - it works like an insurance policy for lots of people, incl me.

Hi
    I had Valium for YEARS and never took it because I was so scared of the side effects!!!
    Anyway I now take them when I am having a major panic attack.
    Through trial and error, I have worked out I need 6 mg for a MAJOR panic attack.
    And they work.
    They calm me down when I am spiralling out of control.
    I have taken 4mg once when I have felt a pa 'coming on' and just could not face a major pa
    It just made me soo relaxed. And gave me a good sleep.
    5mg will NOT have you like a zombie. It will just keep you calm and Mabey stop the panic
    Spiralling.
    Let us know how you get on

Diazepam is great. But I agree only take it if you need it but with this in mind it does take bout an hour and a half to 2 to be fully effective. I sometimes take 2 x 5mg on a bad day and I don't find it makes me sleepy just relaxes me so that I CAN get through the day.

Good luck and hope you have a wonderful time.

Thanks guys, I didn't take it that evening like I said I would as I was too scared.

I'm still debating taking some tonight to 'test' it, maybe half a 5mg pill. Not just to see how it feels but to check I'm not allergic to it or anything (imagine discovering that at 40,000ft), I know it's a hypochondriac way to think but I can't help it.

I've taken beta blockers before which ease off the physical feeling somewhat (heart etc), does diaz work in a similar way? Or will it actually affect my mood, make me more relaxed?

Is 5mg a lot? It seems most are on 2mg.

Beta blockers reduce your adrenaline, so they reduce, palpitations, breathlessness, churning stomach etc,
    Valium does all this, plus relaxes your mind as well.

I started on a quarter of a 2 mg tab cos i was so scared to take them for side effects, but honestly, it had no effect,
    When I was 'normal relaxed' I tried a 2mg and could feel the relaxation.
    When I'm in major panic 2 mg s not enough
    I have found I need 4-6 mg, to have an effect.
    It will not knock you out, just relax you.
    I am 5'2. And 9 st.

Thread Information