Thread: What was your experience stopping Fluoxetine?

What was your experience stopping Fluoxetine?

Hi everyone, just wondering what your experience was like, in stopping Fluoxetine use?

I'm currently traveling overseas, with no great access to a doctor. I haven't had any pills in three days, and wondering what people's experience was like, since I might be getting some of those symptoms soon...

Re: What was your experience stopping Fluoxetine?

I can not recall getting too much in the way of problems coming off fluoxtine, i hope you it goes well for you and you dont get any problems blessings

Thanks aggie, six days onwards (so 9 in total( and I guess I still feel fine. No big problems as far as i can tell.

What dose were you on? When I went on I was so anxious that I was already worrying about when I came off! LOL I'm 'only' on 20mg, perhaps the dose makes a difference to withdrawal?.

Why are you coming off it so early Chris? X

Fluoxetine has a huge half life, so you only really start getting withdrawals a few weeks after you start taking them, if you get them at all. I cold turkeyed fluoxetine at 20mg a few years ago and experienced no physical withdrawal effects, but beware the emotional ones. I experienced chronic depression after quitting fluoxetine (on two separate occasions) which was only relieved after going back on meds.

Incidentally, I stopped taking 5mg fluoxetine last Christmas and did get some mild brain zaps, though my system was already pretty messed up from various meds and discontinuing them.

Hi oncewas super girl . Why did I stop? I guess because of access to the meds and because I got a partner, and the fact she wanted me to stop.

I'm definitely a step up from before I took the pills now, but I do feel some anxiety and depression returning after I stopped the pills . I'm just trying to deal with it and for the most part Im doing okay, though I definitely miss the pills a bit. (20mg of fluoxetine) also some Ritalin ..

ChristopherT: Do you get the libido/sex drive back after a few weeks on flux? Like once the side-effects are gone after 6-8 weeks, does sex drive go back to normal?

Hey, hmm it's hard to say. I think maybe my overall sex drive is lower, I'm in a relationship, but I'm not starving for it. But I seem to be fine, when I'm in a bedroom situation. I think in the initial 6-8 weeks after, it may have been causing some problems though for my sex drive, but also at the same time I was super busy, and exhausted which didn't help. My partner seems to always be keen, but I guess it might also have something to do with woman's sex drive increasing as they get a bit more mature.

I've been taking one every other day for about two weeks. I'm starting to feel mild anxiety in everyday life again, just noticed it over the past few days. I'm guessing it is just withdrawal as I definitely noticed increased anxiety whilst going on it. I will stay doing this for at least a month then stop after christmas.

I stopped just because I prefer not to be on SSRI's, I guess I'll have been on them for 6 months all in all. But to be honest I felt good taking them, a little numb but I felt mentally strong. If I slip back to how I was I will not hesitate to try them again this time for a year or longer.

Thread Information