Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prolonged Bleeding...

Prolonged Bleeding...

Hi all. I have now been bleeding on and off for more than 1 month. Usually brownish but with some fresh red blood sometimes too. Today it is really dark and quite think (sorry tmi). I went to the gp 2 weeks ago and she put me on a pill (loestrin) which I have taken for 6 days now. I stopped taking my previous pill around 6 months ago, she said it's my normal irregular (i was never regular) cycle sorting itself out. I had a smear and a pelvic scan last year after experiencing break through bleeding on the pill, both were fine so she didn't think I needed them done again? This was over a year ago... Over the last couple of weeks I have also been having a niggling ache at the bottom of my back. Not a pain as such but I am aware of it. May or may not be related. One of my friends died very recently from cervical cancer so I am very paranoid about my symptoms. I had 4 days with no blood and thought it was over but it came back last night :(
    Can anyone help to reassure me please?

Re: Prolonged Bleeding...

I would give time for the new pill to settle in your system and it should sort itself out but if you are still worried you should speak to your GP. Can I ask how old you are?

Thank you . I am 32.

I doubt it will be menopause problems then so I won't suggest that If you had a scan last year they won't do another one as any abnormalities would have shown up then so they won't do another so soon. Give the new pill another week to see if it settles down and if not go back to your GP. The joys of being a woman!

Coming on or off any kind of contraceptive pill or other medication that interferes with your hormones at all can cause 'random' bleeding from what I've heard. I would imagine it's probably more likely if you were always prone to irregular periods before you went on the pill anyway. If you're bleeding then your uterus is probably contracting at least to some extent, so I guess I wouldn't be too surprised if you were also getting a bit of mild period-type pain with it, which could be what your back ache is.

I suspect it's just the pill(s) but if you're worried I'm sure you could request another cervical smear to put your mind at rest...?

Thank you so much Annie. I am worrying in case something has changed and appeared since the last scan they did. I am really annoyed because I was so happy to be off the pill and now I am back on the flipping thing, agh. Thanks again. X

---------- Post added at 15:57 ---------- Previous post was at 15:55 ----------

Thank you emlica. I suspect that the gp is right and it is just 'me' but before pill irregualr was just long times between and heavy periods whereas this is just ongoing. It is so annoying! I really appreciate your input ladies, thank you. X

There is an outside chance it could be peri-menopause (usually you would know of other women in the family who started early) and the other thing I'd think about would be a fibroid (NOT SERIOUS!!!!).

But i do think the most likely thing is the Pill change.

Why not keep a diary and note heavy/moderate/light for the next few weeks? At least you will feel you are doing something, and you can show the doctor if you go back.

Gill x
    Last edited by Speranza; 06-10-13 at 23:08.

If you had a normal smear last year then it is pretty much impossible for you to have cervical cancer. I know this because I've discussed it in so much detail with my doctor recently. I've just been for a colposcopy and was terrified of cervical cancer. It takes several yearsfor abnormal cells to develop and even if they were to turn to cancer which they don't always do, then that takes another 10-15 years to develop. The vast majority of cases of cervical cancer are diagnosed in women a lot older than you who have never had a smear.

Thank you very much speranza and hangingbasket, very much appreciated! X

Well this is still ongoing and showing no sign of stopping yet. I'm going in tomorrow for a double gp appointment for a pelvic exam, early smear and to have swabs taken. If they think there is anything there during the exam I will be referred for another scan. I'm not looking forward to it but am relieved to be having it investigated. At least then I will know anything more sinister has been ruled out and I can continue with a treatment plan knowing what I am dealing with rather than just guessing and trying things out.

---------- Post added at 17:26 ---------- Previous post was at 17:01 ----------

Oh no, just googled my symptoms. Bad idea. I go from being rational to completely irrational. This is driving me nuts! Cannot wait to get these tests done and the results back!

---------- Post added at 17:38 ---------- Previous post was at 17:26 ----------

Final add, my last smear and the scan were actually 2011, due again next year. I thought they were more recent than they were.
    Last edited by Ginger16; 17-09-13 at 17:45.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information