Thread: Withdrawal

Withdrawal

Hi guys...

First of all, I'd like to say to all those people just going on or thinking about going on Sertraline, it worked wonders for me. I had a work-stress/bereavement related anxious breakdown. It took about 7-8 weeks for the embryonic recovery to begin and, I have to say, weeks five and six were absolutely hellish. But come about week 12 and I was completely back to myself - better, more balanced, even. Found a beautiful new girl, got promoted, moved out of my horrible little flat... Total transformation.

Stick at it. How many threads do you see from people in here that say: Sertraline - 16 weeks and counting? Precisely. All the posts are from people just going on. Go figure.

Now, I am now at the other end of the journey. I am 6 days completely clean following a month of tapering (six months on 50mg in total). The tapering was a breeze, no side effects. Apart, that is, from a welcome boost to my libido.

However, since going 'cold turkey', I have begun to see some side effects re-emerge. Anxiety. Sadness. More variable moods. And worst of all, return of the dreaded insomnia. Last night I didn't sleep at all and today has been pretty tough. However, such a scenario would have completely poleaxed me back in March, the levels of anxiety it would have caused.... So thankfully, I still seem to have some perspective.

So my question is, what are people's experiences of coming off Sertraline? Is it just a case of, like going on (but surely easier?), finding a way to get through the weeks before finally reaching the sunlit uplands???

Re: Withdrawal

Im clean for a few months I think. I can't sleep and have a poor short term, ticks and can't remember much about my time on them.

I seem to be absolutely fine now. Have a few leg kicks at night when I'm trying to go to sleep - but that could be anything.

I know what you mean re: the memory though. Almost feels like I had six months in some sort of bubble there. I can remember what happened but I feel detached from it, like it wasn't me...

I am on 100 mg Sertraline and unfortunately everytime I get less than 50 mg my anxiety comes back and even panic attacks. I am happy for you though, you have the experience and this helps with coping, because you learn more about what it is and how to overcome it so that you can get off medication with hardly any problems at all. I hope I will be able to do the same too!

Thread Information