Thread: does an anxiety attack differ from a panic attack

does an anxiety attack differ from a panic attack

I Think it does.. panic attack I associate with like crying and muscle cramps in the hands because a girl at school years ago used to suffer this way

anxiety attacks I associate with dizziness, adrenaline rushes, tingles, pounding heart..

am I right? Or are they the same thing

Re: does an anxiety attack differ from a panic attack

I would say they are very similar, though different people have different symptoms. Panic is really just a sudden, huge surge of anxiety.

I can have spells when I feel anxious all the time, or very anxious. I would say panic is just when my mind cranks it up a few notches. I don't particularly get physical symptoms like shakes, dizziness etc. I get a tight feeling in my chest and the urge to get out of wherever I am.

I don't run away though. If you just keep going after a short time the adrenaline in your body just discharges itself and the panic subsides. I don't think you can actually stay in 'panic' mode for that long. It's a short term response that your body produces to make you 'flight' or 'fight'. Once nothing happens, your body stops producing adrenaline and your panic ebbs away.

my panic attacks are not like that - but keep in mind that everyone is different

Personally... I class my anxiety attacks as those periods of constant anxiety when you are suffereing 24/7 for months. Then panic attacks are the 20-30 minute episodes when you feel like you're having a heart attack, cant breathe, chest pain, sweating etc

Hi Lucy...

As you know I suffered from very bad panic attacks but know they have subsided and been replace with what I would call a anxiety attack.

For me a Panic Attack is an intense episode that can last anything from a 30 seconds to a 30 minutes

And an anxiety attack to me is a less intensive version but can last longer maybe a few hours but it is a controlable feeling.

Lucy I will pm you my new Facebook link as you know I closed the old one down and then if you need a chat I will get that silly bobble head on my phone lol

Quote Originally Posted by hangingbasket View Post
    Personally... I class my anxiety attacks as those periods of constant anxiety when you are suffereing 24/7 for months. Then panic attacks are the 20-30 minute episodes when you feel like you're having a heart attack, cant breathe, chest pain, sweating etc
    ^^^

This is exactly how I view it too.

Thread Information