Thread: Can't seem to believe GP over IBS

Can't seem to believe GP over IBS

Hi all, I was diagnosed with IBS last October after my colonoscopy was abandoned half way through ( my fault ) I am struggling to believe the symptoms I have are related to IBS, I feel awful some day, buscopan is not particularly helping the pain, probiotics not much neither. I just have stomach pains and nausea daily, noisy stomach, feel tired, I so want to believe this is what I have but It feels more serious to me. My HA has started up again which is making things worse . I thought IBS came and went in bouts, whereas I feel like this a lot of the time. I am scared I have something a lot more sinister that has been missed.

Re: Can't seem to believe GP over IBS

You have acid reflux too don't you Alma? I have acid reflux and IBS and it can make you feel terrible. Have you tried a diet cutting out all acid reflux triggers eg. Fried food, tomatoes, tea, coffee, fizzy drinks, sweet foods. If you eat meat only eat lean cuts and red meat only twice a week. I've found this helps to cut down my IBS symptoms. Medication hasn't worked for me so I'm looking more at diet and lifestyle changes. Give this a go and if you're not happy go back to your GP and maybe you could try having the colonoscopy again. I know how you feel about not seeing it through, I stopped an endoscopy as I panicked and was gagging so much.

Thanks for replying Bernie, I do have acid reflux as well and take meds for this, I try and eat a diet that does not set my symptoms off but am not very good at sticking to it. I doubt the GP will send me for another colonoscopy as the consultant who did the procedure told me that she felt that there was not going to be any problems with my colon ( due to normal blood tests and putting all my symptoms together ) and to forget about it. My endoscopy showed acid reflux but nothing else. I suppose I am just worried that I have been misdiagnosed but I know a lot of this is due to my anxieties. I am going to try the diet changes and see if it makes any difference. xxx

I have resisted the diet changes suggested to me for a long time but recently gave them a go: wheat, sugar and diary free. A few weeks of being reasonably strict, certainly not 100% ( I have found sugar the hardest to avoid, having a sweet tooth), my symptoms have definitely improved. The free from products out there are really good these days as is the huge choice of recipes to try if you like to cook.
    I'm having acupuncture too which is a big help, but not cheap. My excellent lady gave me an article recently which highlights the growing amount of evidence that shows a strong link between the health of the gut and the anxiety/depression someone can have.
    Good luck with the changes

Good luck with the diet changes Alma, let us know if you have any improvement.

Thanks Cokesmyth and Bernie. xx

I found that I became increasingly intolerant to various PPI's which I took for acid reflux, and they set off IBS type lower abdominal cramps which were taking longer and longer to subside.
    My acid reflux is mostly under control sleeping on a refluxease wedge and taking Domperidone.
    Sadly the IBS is a real nightmare, exacerbated by ADs, anxiety and whatever else takes it fancy. It's very unhelpful part of a vicious circle of pain, restrictions, anxiety and depression.
    Anyway my acid reflux is due to hiatus hernia and failed valve, so PPIs seemed wonderful at first but become intolerable.

Thanks for your reply, I do wonder about intolerance to PPI's as I have been on lanzoprazole for about 6 years, I try not to take them everyday though as I worried about long term effects. I have a wedge type pillow which does seem to help but some mornings wake up feeling really 'choked' by the amount of fluid in my throat, have also lifted by bed up by 12 inches to see if that helps. I do agree that IBS symptoms are worsened by anxiety and depression, my anxiety is now starting to make me feel depressed so my IBS is getting worse. Thanks again.

Thread Information