Thread: Need some advice!

Need some advice!

Hi guys...

Im being treated for Depression and anxiety and panic attacks.
    Im on citalopram with almost 3 weeks so far , 10Mg.
    Everything still feels horrible, in fact im getting less motivated every day.
    Im missing so much school, because the thought of having to go in and work so hard and study hard and everything is horrible. ( I just recently turned 17)
    My memory is so bad so it frustrates me even more.

What i have realised though is that i dont cry as much as I used to.
    Is that all will happen?
    I Dont remember ever feeling 'good'. So when i hear about people saying they went back to them normal selves, I dont know what to be looking out for.

When will i feel good? Because at the moment, i dont want to leave bed and i dont see the point in anything any more.

Please help :(

Re: Need some advice!

Hi there. 10mg is a very low dose. Maybe worth asking your doc if it would be beneficial to up it. I am currently on 30mg and have been for a few months. I'm no where near feeling amazing, but I feel better than I did.

Thanks!!

Hi,

Hang in there. It does sound to me like you are getting some signs that the med is working in that you are not crying as much. That is a good indication that it is starting to kick in.

I was on Escitalopram (Cipralex), 10 mg when I became ill years ago with depression and anxiety, and it took a good 3 - 4 weeks before I started feeling better. You can also feel a little worse/ or no change when you first start meds, but then the benefits emerge. My first indication was when I actually felt like getting out of bed and taking a shower.

I know it is very, very hard when all that you want is to get back to your normal self again, but please try to give it some more time. It will happen, if a little gradually. If you find that after some more time you really are not benefiting greatly, do discuss the dosage with your doc. It may be the dose is insufficient for you personally, as everyone is different.

Big hugs to you.x

Thanks so much. Its nice to hear from someone else.
    Il take each day at a time. Thank you!

10 mg is a common starting dose, but citalopram is not considered therapeutic until 20 mg. I'm sure as you adjust to the medication and get the right dosage, you will start feeling better! Chin up.

Hi,

I agree with the other posts.

Medication can be really effective at treating depression, but you have to get the one that suits you AND get the right dosage. In addition it can take several weeks for the tablets to take effect. So basically it can take a bit of time and maybe some adjusting (with the advice of your GP) until the anti depressants take effect.

Try and hang in there and hopefully you'll find what works for you and you will notice an improvement.

Thread Information