Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just been prescribed Sertraline after being on citalapram, bit worried

Re: Just been prescribed Sertraline after being on citalapram, bit worried

Thank you both so much for your replies. It makes a huge difference knowing that others have gone through similar situations, it really does.

Cheers, Josh
    Last edited by Joshb; 29-09-13 at 13:46. Reason: missed a word out, doh!

You are more than welcome Josh, anytime

If you need any more help, just gives us a shout, there are always lovely, kind and helpful people here

I started taking sertraline after citralapram, I had far less side effects than with citralapram & they were very superficial.
    I experienced some itching & some spots on my back, this lasted about a week, when my dose was increased to 100 & then 150 each time I experienced these side effects for a few days & then everything settled down.
    My general attitude to my condition is;
    I am not in control of this situation, therefor I will keep taking the pills & do everything I can do to help myself.
    eat healthy, get more exercise eg. park a bit further from the shops, walk when I can, a bit more gardening....., nothing heavy, just baby steps, I find it helps with sleep. I also put SAD light bulbs in my kitchen which is where I spend most of my time at home.

---------- Post added at 13:35 ---------- Previous post was at 13:14 ----------

After 12 weeks I feel that my thought patterns are slowly returning to normal, I can't really explain but on citralapram I was taking something in the hope of some kind of change, sertraline is slowly making positive changes.

thanks for the reply Rebecca,

Hi, if you browse the threads I created here, you'll find the earliest one was about a horrific time with citalopram side effects.

Years later, with what I hope is a lot more strength of character, I've also gone onto the lowest dose of sertraline hoping this will be the last medication I use and this will be the last time I need to use medication as a crutch.

The annoyingly familiar side effects came within an hour of the first dose: greatly heightened anixety, a bad night's sleep, such a pain in the poo region after mirtazapine gently and comfortably singing me to sleep at night and making me feel all comfortable.

All I can say is, side effects pass. Your body will adapt, you'll get through this and you'll have another victory under your belt. So yeah, even the lowest dose of an SSRI can be intrusive and unpleasant, but if you can get through this, and you can face life on the lowest dose, you are only one step away from being able to rely entirely on yourself.

It's tough, it can be harsh and it generally isn't fair - but were any of us given a contract before we were born, saying that we'd get things easier than everyone else without having to put any effort in? No, we didn't, we were chucked into this cauldron of weirdness called life and told:

"You have been given the capability for self-improvement, but whether you use it or not is up to you. There will be challenges for you to face or avoid as you see fit. We know you can make it, but you must decide whether or not you choose to believe this, because you have also been given free will. Good luck."

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

Hi PP

I do like your writing style, I read your cit survival guide, It took me a few sessions, but it was was great.

I changed from 20mg of cit last saturday and for 5 days took 25mg of Sert. then the last couple of days I again halved the dose to 12.5mg of sirt. Today, i didnt take anything. feel okish.. just have some depression which is a bit err depressing maybe i reduced to quick.. not sure

cheers

Josh

Josh, I wouldn't be reducing your dose like that just yet.

Being on the 25mgs of sertraline was fine, but far too soon to be reducing it as your body probably hasn't even got used to the 25mgs just yet, I'd go back to the 25mgs and stay on that, then gradually build it up from there, but don't reduce as that may well bring your symptoms back rapidly.

What dose does your doctor want you to take?? and are you going to be seeing them regularly? It's very important when making changes like this, to be in close contact with your doctor just so as they can see what's happening with you

Hi Auntie M

I just took 12.5mg of sirt after reading what you said. I just want to be free of meds and use natural ways along with self help cbt such as the one in your signature.

I seemed fine on 25mg for 5 days and seemed so on 12.5mg the past few days too, I guess i should taper more gradually rather than rush, i will stick with 12.5mg for a week I guess.

I was on venlafaxine for 10 years, and managed to come off that in May this year. That was erm, interesting. The problem was when i came of meds i never had any coping skills or really new what was wrong, so when i was in a stressful situation i had panic and anxiety which quickly became self sustaining and resulted in me going on citalapram. I think now i have more coping skills but wont really know until i test them out without the aid of meds which only act to cover up your feelings i think.

I dont usually take my meds in the evening but have just taken it at about 8pm. I guess i will just have another 12.5mg in the morning... My doctors are generally rubbish regarding this and just seem to want to prescribe stuff left right and centre without ever really trying to help sort out the underlying issues.

thanks so much for replying..

Josh
    Last edited by Joshb; 05-10-13 at 20:10.

It's great that you're wanting to try things the natural way and it's good to hear that Josh

Just don't try running before you can walk, it's very easy to move to quickly and then set yourself back, so just put yer breaks on a little

Are you doing the CBT now?? Or are you actually waiting to see a therapist?

If you're doing the CBT now, on your own, I'd give it at least a month before trying to reduce anymore, you will find it helpful to have that little back up whilst you're getting to grips with your CBT

Once you've learned lots of new skills and new ways of thinking and behaving with anxiety, then that's the time to start reducing, but slowly does it!!

If you're doing the CBT4PANIC, it's an excellent program, it's the one and only thing that's ever helped me, Robin, who's program it is, is so helpful and supportive too, study it really well, keep reading it over and over and when you feel confident enough, try putting it into practice, I've found it really helpful

Hi, I am half way through a 6 week cbt mindfulness course, But i find the CBT4PANIC much more indepth although it doesnt seem to cover low mood/ light depression much, well not that i have read or watched yet, I have done book 2. The problem i have is that it isnt really one thing that triggers me, it's more generalised lack of self esteem and confidence and general fear of life I suppose so its always simmering away in the background

Last edited by Joshb; 05-10-13 at 21:06.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information