Thread: Be Wary of Vitamin Supplements

Be Wary of Vitamin Supplements

EDIT: Posting this as No More Panic recommends taking vitamin B complex. Yes, it might help with some, but for others it could actually worsen your symptoms.

Hi everyone,

Haven't posted here in a long time, but wanted to share what has happened to me recently in case it helps anyone else. In the past I have suffered from depression and health anxiety with a minor social anxiety thrown in for good measure ( what a wonderful combination ). Anyway, a few years ago I got myself to the point of controlling my anxiety and depression so that now I maybe have a bout of it for a couple of weeks every year or so and that's about it.

The last two weeks however have been absolutely torrid. Can't sleep, jittery, anxious, felt reluctant to leave the house, felt like my blood pressure was going through the roof as I had this heavy sensation in my chest. I couldn't understand why I was feeling this way and cut caffeine out and kept exercising, talking to people, and doing yoga and nothing helped.

Turns out I think I found the culprit. I had been taking a vitamin B complex supplement to help boost my energy levels. B vitamins are known to help some people with anxiety as they can help your brain function more clearly, BUT what I found out is that in a decent number of people it can have the REVERSE effect because it can act like a stimulant.

I actually stopped taking my supplements for a few days then I started to feel better and took the vitamin B complex again yesterday morning, and last night had a horrible time.

Sure this could be placebo, but I found many instances on line where people are having the same experience. So just a quick heads up that if you start taking a supplement to make you feel better that if you start being more anxious, try cutting it out. Apparently this goes for minerals such as magnesium, selenium etc. as well.

Best get all your nutrients from your foods!
    Last edited by Glasgow_guy; 26-09-13 at 11:40.

Re: Be Wary of Vitamin Supplements

I don't think No More Panic recommends taking Vitamin B Complex, I think it's a few site members who have recommended it. As none of us are medical professionals I would say don't start any supplement without asking your Doctor or pharmacist first

I've started taking Boots A-Z last week. This thread has frightened me.

Bipolar Disorder
    Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Panic Disorder

Medication:
    Cymbalta 90mg
    Seroquel 600mg
    Lyrica 500mg
    Clopixol 200mg (Injection)
    Zimovane: 7.5mg

Self Help Books:
    Mindfulness: Borderline Personality Disorder
    The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Workbook
    Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
    Mindfulness: Live In The Moment
    When Panic Attacks
    The 10 Best Ever Anxiety Management Techniques

Our average diet consists of nearly all of these vitamins and minerals anyway and our bodies can't consume more than the RDA. If we do consume more, we simply excrete them.

All these vitamins and minerals and completely non stimulating and at the moment, the jury is out on whether they even have any effect or benefit whatsoever.

I would be very surprised to hear that this holds much evidence that it can cause problems or even help problems in the majority of the anxious population.

This is very interesting to me.

I have been taking high strength vitamins for my hair for over 3 months now, with a high amount of B-complex in them, and the past week or so my anxiety has come back with a vengeance, and is the worst relapse I have had in a very long time, without much explanation.

I am not sure how or if excess vitamins could exacerbate anxiety, but it is certainly food for thought.

Bernie: Here is the No More Panic article listed that recommends Vitamin B EDIT: Can't post url links yet as my post count isn't high enough :( It's under Remedies.

Edward: I wouldn't be too concerned, it's only a portion of people who feel over stimulated by vitamin B. I was taking Vitamin B complex not an A-Z pill so the doses were much higher that I was taking. See how you feel, but you'll probably be just fine.

Steveo: There is no consensus scientifically about the efficacy of vitamin and mineral supplements as a whole in adults who are under the age of 65 and are not vitamin deficient. There is good evidence showing that some specific vitamins and minerals MIGHT have a positive effect such as zinc for the immune system, but again it's early days. While I would always follow the science (my background is in research to give context) anecdotal evidence is not 'useless' as some people think. Indeed, many of the clinical tests performed on substances simply involve giving patients a substance and asking how they feel afterwards, compared to a control group of course. Yes, you should always rely on replicable studies as a source over anything anecdotal, but if the literature doesn't exist then it is worth considering. That is often where the research begins.

I'd also disagree about your thoughts on vitamins having no stimulant effects. Here's a good overview on the NHS: Same, can't post links yet, sorry.

These vitamins are involved in energy release within the body and nervous system, so I wouldn't dismiss people thinking that it might cause jitters or nervous energy. The sad case is that there hasn't been enough research carried out to determine whether this is a fact or not, but I'd keep it in mind due to the large number of people who claim they had anxiety after taking them - me included. I'd also add that the B vitamins are directly involved in adrenal functions. That makes me a little suspicious of it as much anxiety is caused by our bodies going into fight or flight mode via adrenaline production when we don't need it.

Debs: It's worth thinking about, but everyone's biochemistry is different so it's hard to tell. Speak to your doctor about it. Someone on another forum recommended taking the vitamin Bs in separate pills. So stop the complex and take b1s,if there's no adverse reactions move on to the next one and see what happens. People have been reporting B6 and B12 as the culprits, but again, this isn't a scientific study and I'm not a doctor, so keep that in mind
    Last edited by Glasgow_guy; 26-09-13 at 15:00.

The Article you are talking about also states this... "here you will find some natural remedies that may help you"

The word is 'may', what works for one does not always work for another and throughout NMP we tell people to seek medical advice on things this includes starting any medications/supplements if people are in any way worried.

All of our Articles are written by members/ex members based on experience and knowledge and are not specifically recomendations.

I am glad you seem to have found what was causing the way you were feeling and I hope that continues for you.

but I reiterate people are completely different, their diets are different and then the need (if any) for supplements will change from person to person. what works/causes problems for one person does not work/cause problems for another.

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

I started taking centrum (i think that's what it's called) which has b vitamins in it, and had my first attack for 3 months whilst taking it after a few days.. it may just be my anxious mind worrying about the possible effects of the vitamin and then bringing on panic more easily as a result of that but i stopped taking them straight away.

I don't think foods can cure our anxiety, i used to eat terribly and never had an problem with anxiety or panic but now that i have anxiety issues and panic attacks, i try to make sure my diet is pretty good, so less processed stuff and junk food, lots of fruits and veggies, no caffeine and very very minimal alcohol. There's natural ways to get the vitamins and minerals without taking vitamins.. and you get a whole lot of other goodness too!

I took multi vitamins in the past and in the end didn't really see the point. A reasonable diet usually provides what the body needs. Sometimes iron tablets may be needed, but that would likely be after a blood test highlighting a deficiency.

I think it's possible that too much of one thing could cause an imbalance, and it's probably down to the individual as to whether it really is, or whether it is placebo (like many things to the sensitive can be). That's not meant as a criticism btw, just that we know our own bodies best (usually).

Of course there may be medical conditions that require extra vitamins or that make someone deficient and that is obviously right to supplement, but the money spent on vitamins is probably better spent on fruit/veg/mixed nuts if I'm brutally honest.

---------- Post added at 17:14 ---------- Previous post was at 17:08 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    ....now that i have anxiety issues and panic attacks, i try to make sure my diet is pretty good, so less processed stuff and junk food, lots of fruits and veggies, no caffeine and very very minimal alcohol. There's natural ways to get the vitamins and minerals without taking vitamins.. and you get a whole lot of other goodness too!
    Definitely agree. If I could add that cutting down on caffeine and alcohol costs nowt (or perhaps slightly more if you don't drink alcohol and switch to decaff tea/coffee) but more importantly reduces the intake of stimulants (caffeine) and central nervous system depressant (alcohol).

I can't say too much how alcohol can really screw with anxiety/depression, making it worse if alcohol intake is above average or is being used to self medicate, which some people who drink are unaware they are doing..

Anyway, sorry didn't mean to take over thread..!

Thread Information