Thread: Freaking out about legal trouble

Freaking out about legal trouble

So my freshmen year I got into an altercations which resulted in me bring charged with Simple Assault. We went to court and this charge was then dropped. This is in NC. This past summer (junior now) I was caught with a fake ID and got those charges dropped down to a local ordinance change which is something along the lines of a noise complaint or leaving trash in the street. This year I had to much to drink and started to jump on the hoods of a few parked cars which left very minor dents. I have no been charged with anything yet but it is from my understanding that a few of the peoples cares who were damaged may want to press charges which would result in vandalism. So now I am just worried about the vandalism charges, it was just a drunk college kid mistake. I have offered to pay for all the damages and am hoping they do not press charges. But I am not worried about the simple assault and fake id charges because they are getting expunched, I am just worried about the Vandalism charge. so here are my questions.

1. Will a dropped charge show up on a backround check?

2. If not Will a dropped charge seriously affect me from getting a job?

3. Do you think that the college students cars who are damaged will actually press charges on me for minor dents?

4. Can i get more than one thing expunged off of my record

Thank you so much for your input. Im kinda in a panic mode and just need some reassurance that this stupid incident is going to ruin my chances of getting a good job.

Re: Freaking out about legal trouble

I'm afraid I don't know the legal system in America - but I will say that in your few sentences you seem to me to be talking about the onset of a serious alcohol problem which will inevitably see you with a criminal record if it goes on unchecked.

Personally, that is what I would focus on worrying about.

And I say that with compassion. It is early in your life. Already you've been drinking underage and causing damage whilst drunk, let this be a wake-up call or your fears about your criminal record will prove to be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I agree, it's a fairly simple equation. Cut out the alcohol fuelled foolishness, grow up and I suspect the legal issues won't keep re-occurring.

If you dented my car, I'd press charges for sure. At the very least.

In the UK a criminal conviction affects your job prospects if the crime is related to the job, for example if you were arrested for theft you may not be able to work in a shop. If that conviction was a long time ago (especially when you were younger) they often ignore them. I'm not sure how the legal system works in the states so you may want to speak to a solicitor/lawyer or someone with legal knowledge.

As everyone has said you need to take control of your life. Stop getting arrested! I understand if it was the one drunken mistake when you were young but it becomes inexcusable the more it happens.

ERB 14/01/2016 Forever missed, forever in our hearts, my baby angel girl

It is up to a judge to convict you on these charges. If you haven't been charged or received a summons to appear in court then there is nothing at all to show up on a background check.

Bipolar Disorder
    Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Panic Disorder

Medication:
    Cymbalta 90mg
    Seroquel 600mg
    Lyrica 500mg
    Clopixol 200mg (Injection)
    Zimovane: 7.5mg

Self Help Books:
    Mindfulness: Borderline Personality Disorder
    The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Workbook