View Poll Results: Did pregabalin significantly reduce your anxiety?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 53.33%
  • No

4 6.67%
  • Only a little

12 20.00%
  • Undecided

12 20.00%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How did Pregabalin work for you?

Re: How did Pregabalin work for you?

Hello Coppernob,

I too think I may be on medication indefinitely. Mostly, I think, because I've had some form of anxiety-related problem since early childhood, but with my current medication, I'm mostly anxiety-free for the first time in my life.

Like most people, I would like to be able to go medication-free, but not if it means going back to how I was before.

Me too, Hanshan! I haven't suffered like you, I've had a few brushes with anxiety meaning periods on anti-depressants since my forties, but this last one was horrendous and as I'm now 72 I don't see the point in taking the risk! The trouble is that by this age it can be difficult to tolerate the meds that used to work, trying the same thing I used to take knocked me senseless and made me feel very ill. Thank goodness for mirtazapine and pregabalin

Hello again Coppernob,

Fortunately, most of what could be called suffering was limited to four or so intense periods, what used to be called "nervous breakdowns".

The rest of the time I was functioning but doing my best to compensate from various nervous afflictions, which I mostly tried to keep hidden from people. Anxiety functioned as a brake on what I could do or would try to do, so there were a lot of missed opportunities.

Anyway, with my current medication that's in the past. On the other hand, I'm a bit old to be launching off into a new life, but I don't care.

I don't know if pregab has helped my anxiety as I have a problem believing that's what I have although some of the physical signs are there globus tiredness I was originally persribed it because of panic attack which came out of the blue! However I still have the odd panic attack or two just able to control them better!? However It has enabled me to get out of bed/ make decisions and generally do things so it has improved my life hugely ) however seem to be becoming tolerant and may need to up dose also wish half life was longer !!

Pregabalin has stopped the skin crawling sensation in my face...it only comes back if I'm late taking my dose, first relief I've had from it for over two years It has also brought my anxiety levels to a normal amount which is fantastic. Early side effects were tough but soon went away. Sadly I have to report a definate weight issue...I have a really slow metabolism and pco anyway and this just tops it off...I've joined a slimming group and I'm still struggling to get it off again, but for the relief I'm getting, over all I would say it is worth taking....mentally much better

Hi, so glad to hear pregabalin is working for you. Yes, the weight issue with all these kinds of drugs is something you have to accept. I'm on mirtazapine as well so it's a double whammy! I joined Slimming World and have got all the extra weight off very slowly, and I feel fantastic now - but I know it's going to be an uphill struggle to keep it off.

But it's all worth putting up with to feel normal and happy!

I'm a veteran of meds having had 20-25yrs of anxiety and depression.

Lyrica (pregabalin) worked very well for me for about 4 weeks. I was at the max doze of 600mg p/d.

It basically then stopped working altogether.

It has a huuuuge chance of you developing tolerance to it.

I also managed to put on 2-3 stone on it (no word of a lie)

In short, it's great for a short term 'crutch' and that alone.

Very similar to Phenibut in effects (Phenibut is far superior!)

Hi Cracker,

While your experience is valid, you have to remember that it's just one experience out of quite a wide range. For example, it only worked short-term for you, but it works long-term for others. These medications affect different people differently, so it's important not to over-generalise from any one experience (either good or bad).

I have just been prescribed lyrica in initially a small dose of 50mg a day for nerve pain in a certain part of my body.

I have only been on it for 5 days.Does anyone else take it for nerve pain.

I had the option of amitriptilene as well but because of my recent heart attack I was advised that Lyrica would be better to take with the handful of heart pills I already take.

I would really be interested if anyone else has been prescribed Lyrica for nerve pain as opposed to anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by hanshan View Post
    Hi Cracker,

While your experience is valid, you have to remember that it's just one experience out of quite a wide range. For example, it only worked short-term for you, but it works long-term for others. These medications affect different people differently, so it's important not to over-generalise from any one experience (either good or bad).
    Agreed.

It is very common for tolerance to develop, in terms of it's ongoing effectiveness for anxiety in particular. I've heard of people continually needing to increase the dosage just to ward off withdrawals whilst 'on' the medication...

I really have tried every med and even ECT.

Don't get me wrong, Pregabalin was one of the most effective meds I ever took, but i would advise caution in long term usage, along the lines of benzo use.

I found Phenibut to be very similar indeed, but of significantly more help. That definitely also has the same issues surrounding it however.

---------- Post added at 09:57 ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ricardo View Post
    I have just been prescribed lyrica in initially a small dose of 50mg a day for nerve pain in a certain part of my body.

I have only been on it for 5 days.Does anyone else take it for nerve pain.

I had the option of amitriptilene as well but because of my recent heart attack I was advised that Lyrica would be better to take with the handful of heart pills I already take.

I would really be interested if anyone else has been prescribed Lyrica for nerve pain as opposed to anxiety.
    Hi, I also have a slipped disc, annoying the nerve mainly.

Pregabalin definitely helped somewhat for this too. However, again I personally found it's usefulness wane over time.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information