View Poll Results: Did pregabalin significantly reduce your anxiety?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 53.33%
  • No

4 6.67%
  • Only a little

12 20.00%
  • Undecided

12 20.00%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How did Pregabalin work for you?

Re: How did Pregabalin work for you?

Thanks Cracker,

mine is in a rather delicate place and actually gets worse the more stressed I am and even my urologist said the pain was actually generated by myself, having done various tests on me.

My GP suggested that I try it in small doses.

I was on lyrica years ago for anxiety,didn't help me,but made me eat like a horse.In fact out of all the numerous SSRI's and other pills I have had, lyrica was the worst for weight gain.

Quote Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
    I'm a veteran of meds having had 20-25yrs of anxiety and depression.

Lyrica (pregabalin) worked very well for me for about 4 weeks. I was at the max doze of 600mg p/d.

It basically then stopped working altogether.

It has a huuuuge chance of you developing tolerance to it.

I also managed to put on 2-3 stone on it (no word of a lie)

In short, it's great for a short term 'crutch' and that alone.
    This is the problem with pregabalin for some people. Works for a while then you have to keep going up the dose or sometimes it just stops working completely. List of side-effects is long and weight gain can be a big problem for some.

I really believe this drug will be highlighted as a 'problem' medication in the future. Reports are slowly coming out about dependence, addition and abuse potential with it.

Not saying it shouldn't be used and some people wont benefit...... but personally I would put it in a similar category as a Benzo... i.e. short term use preferably and if you do use it long term then be prepared for withdrawals and a slow tapering.

Running out of would not be a pleasant experience either, so important to keep a handful in reserve somewhere safe in case there is a problem at the pharmacy with the prescription or whatever.

Hi Cracker and Yenool,

Pregabalin's action is pre-synaptic, so it is completely different from benzodiazepines, z-drugs and GABA-like medications like phenibut.

The biggest issue with pregabalin either not working or being misused seems to be related to previous medication/drug use.

If you have already tried most medications known to science, then most likely your body is now ready to counteract anything new and will negate it as soon as possible. If you have had substance misuse problems in the past, then you are at risk of misusing pregabalin.

If you don't fall into either of the two groups above, then pregabalin is a potentially life-changing medication worth trying.

Quote Originally Posted by ricardo View Post
    Thanks Cracker,

mine is in a rather delicate place and actually gets worse the more stressed I am and even my urologist said the pain was actually generated by myself, having done various tests on me.

My GP suggested that I try it in small doses.

I was on lyrica years ago for anxiety,didn't help me,but made me eat like a horse.In fact out of all the numerous SSRI's and other pills I have had, lyrica was the worst for weight gain.
    Ricardo,

I don't know about this but I'm chipping in because I know my med, Duloxetine, is one for neuropathic pain which I use for as an antidepressant. If you get offered that, its worth doing some searching because it can ramp up adrenaline when you start and its unpleasant for some, just like the Ven guys.

My experience with it was hard (I'm still on it now and have my blips were adrenaline ramps up but its much more manageable now) BUT I've seen people on here saying it didn't give them any side effects.

You've been around the block a lot more than me when it comes to meds to I'm probably telling you things you already know here but I feel I just mention it just incase not.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Ricardo,

I don't know about this but I'm chipping in because I know my med, Duloxetine, is one for neuropathic pain which I use for as an antidepressant. If you get offered that, its worth doing some searching because it can ramp up adrenaline when you start and its unpleasant for some, just like the Ven guys.

My experience with it was hard (I'm still on it now and have my blips were adrenaline ramps up but its much more manageable now) BUT I've seen people on here saying it didn't give them any side effects.

You've been around the block a lot more than me when it comes to meds to I'm probably telling you things you already know here but I feel I just mention it just incase not.

Thanks terry

But having recently had a heart attack I am restricted at what I can take and What I can't. Duloxetine is an SNRI which is not allowed nor any SSRI's for my anxiety.

Lyrica I think was initially for epilepsy but I am allowed it in small doses and it is helping.

Thats good to hear, Ricardo (that its helping, not the rest).

Have you thought of trying other forums as well? The fibro guys seem to try these types of meds out so they might give you some opinions from the other side?

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Thats good to hear, Ricardo (that its helping, not the rest).

Have you thought of trying other forums as well? The fibro guys seem to try these types of meds out so they might give you some opinions from the other side?

Sorry terry don't understand the highlighted bit. Did you mean form or forums ? Who is the fibro guy ?

Sorry Ricardo, I meant the fibromyalgia forums. I've seen them talking about meds like mine for their issues when I've been Googling for info. I'm thinking they might have used yours for more physical reasons.

Hi Terry,

What's your dose of pregabalin?

Hi Hanshan,

I'm not on Pregabalin, I'm on Duloxetine. I was just thinking that since Ricardo is trying to take it for pain instead, the fibromyalgia forums might have a load of threads about how it works for them as I've seen them talking about various meds including mine in the past.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information